Is it me or are these things shipped broken?

GoldenMotor.com

retrospecs

May 26, 2009
Dover NH
About a week ago I recieved my first jet 80cc bike kit. I assembled it per the directions which were a little hard to follow. The first issue I ran into was a frayed clutch cable. "ok" i said to myself "not a problem" and quickly shot off to my local EMS (eastern mountain sports) and managed to find the right cable for the job. The next day I installed the cable and took off for my first ride which was great for 20 seconds then the throttle got stuck in the "you're gonna die" fast position. I managed to slow down using the kill switch (the only thing that has worked dependably) and was cruising towards my driveway when the bake wheel locked up tight. I had been reading this blog so I investigated the chain and discovered that, yes, the master link had broken. Again, I went out and got a replacement link from my local motorcycle shop and installed it. I opened up the carb to troubleshhot the throttle issue and disassembled the twist handle. I discovered two things, one the little "bullet" on the carb side of the cable had mysteriously disappered and the end of the cable that attached t the throttle control was bent, frayed and nearly broken. So again I will be going out to my local motorcylce shop to buy a replacement for this as well. When I first bought this i thought it would be an inexpensive alternative to driving my car arround town or purchasing a motorcyle. Now I'm thinking after all the expense and issues I probably should have bought the Motorcycle and saved the headache. Anyone else having these issues?:-||

lordoflightaz

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
It may be a little late for you but where did you buy this kit? I sounds like maybe you got a returned kit.

The master link thing is a bit odd, could be how you installed it. Backwards is bad a crooked sprocket install won't help the matter.

I think many of us have had your problems, but not all at once.

Buying things, especially things that need to be put togther, over the Internet I usually get out my camera and take pictures of the stuff before I put it together.

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
my parts arrived in good shape,i used my manual that came with it plus a online manual.
as for the directions.clutch cables fray if not cut with sharp cutters plus you should tape or solder the end.the throttles stick if not installed properly.master links break if not installed properly.even if you replaced all of your parts or bought two kits its still cheaper than a motorcycle or car.maybe youve got a bad or returned kit.

Last edited:

retrospecs

May 26, 2009
Dover NH
Ok Update time:
I took your advice and did a LOT of research. I replaced the throttle cable with one from a Honda mower which seems more durable and I read through the install manuals that are posted on other gas bike sales sites. I can't be sure but I believe I might hav diagnosed the problem with the throttle. I'm going to attack it tonight and I'll post the results tomorrow. Gambate!!

Echotraveler

Aug 25, 2008
hey retro, why didnt you contact your seller for replacements?? i can relate to your problems, we all work with the bugs, but ones its running good, you just need to keep on top of it so the bugs stay out.
and yeah its not the cheapest....but i have discovered a few advantages motorcycles dont have...

1. i can enter Old San Juan City, when police are stoping people (cars and motorcycles) from entering the old city to party
2. i can park the bike inside the mall! lol
3. No need for license plate
4. im so much cooler than motorcycles.
5. you get to places as fast or faster thatn in your car.

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama
I have a motorcycle = Honda Shadow 1100cc, scooter = Linhai 300cc, and 3 motorized bicycles. Notice I have 3 bicycles and not motorcycles. These things are great!

matt167

May 20, 2009
usa
when I first put my throttle on, I had it stuck at nearly WOT.. took it apart and fixed it..

I had small problems.. getting the sprocket to run true.. the thru frame bolt is too short for my bike ( it's on a mountian bike now ) so I had to get a longer 1.. the large frame horseshoe doesn't fit like it should, so I needed the thru bolt method

retrospecs

May 26, 2009
Dover NH
Update Redux:
Well while I certainly had the needle in the carb in the wrong spot, repairing it did not solve the issue. Not to worry, I found a guy that builds and repairs these things in Maine not to far from where I live in New Hampshire. He's going to troubleshhot my set-up and give me some lessons on upkeep and bug diagnostics. At $10 an hour I figure thats a bargin! Also, I am already researching my next bike. I have a vintage beach cruiser frame that I am having powdercoated. I am keeping an eye out for a honda or mitsubishi friction motor for this one. Thanks for your support, the 20 seconds I did get to ride this first bike has me good and hooked!