Tire liner killed my tire. Sigh

GoldenMotor.com

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
My bike was parked and I grabbed the front sidewalls to check the air pressure. All good. 5 minutes later the tire was flat. I wasn't even on the bike when it happened. LOL

The end of tire liner left an imprint on my tube and it's so called round corner punched a hole through the tube. Taped off the ends like others on the internet have said. It's not just a casual recommendation like I once thought.

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
What kind of tube and tire did you use? Tube manufacturers seem to be pretty sloppy these days. I have seen them with all kinds of ridges and rough seams, and sometimes the valves pull out.

Did you use a pretty hard tire pressure? I've heard that running low with tire liners causes the scraping and flat that you describe.

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
What kind of tube and tire did you use? Tube manufacturers seem to be pretty sloppy these days. I have seen them with all kinds of ridges and rough seams, and sometimes the valves pull out.

Did you use a pretty hard tire pressure? I've heard that running low with tire liners causes the scraping and flat that you describe.
30 PSI on a dirt cheap, super thin, no name tube, which was working fine until I added the tire liner without taping the end off.

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
I just use super thick tubes and at least the minimum pressure on the sidewall label. Same with tire-liners. If you don't use enough pressure, they "walk" inside the tire, or scuff the tube. Talcum powder is supposed to help.

When I first started using my friction drive I got scuff flats on tubes, till I went to larger- size tubes, then eventually super-tubes. When the tubes stretch to fill the tire, they are more subject to tearing or flats.

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
I just use super thick tubes and at least the minimum pressure on the sidewall label. Same with tire-liners. If you don't use enough pressure, they "walk" inside the tire, or scuff the tube. Talcum powder is supposed to help.

When I first started using my friction drive I got scuff flats on tubes, till I went to larger- size tubes, then eventually super-tubes. When the tubes stretch to fill the tire, they are more subject to tearing or flats.
I was well within the minimums. Nothing works better than tape because it takes the teeth away from the tire liner. Just wish it was in the installation instructions. Maybe it was and I ignored it.

I thought the whole purpose of a tire liner was so you could use cheap tubes and get away with it? Apparently not. LOL

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles

Even at 30 PSI, there was no walking of the liner or tube. There was a clear outline of the end of the liner imprinted on the tube wall and the hole was at the corner of the liner outline. Hows that for cheap? LOL

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
If you have a bulletproof armored vehicle and you never plan on getting out of that vehicle, do you really need to wear your bulletproof vest as well? In my case the answer yes. Yes you do, and it better not be a cheap vest.

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
Did you tape around both layers with them touching, or individually around each end of the belt? Ask Goatherder about the liners. He would probably have good advice.

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
Did you tape around both layers with them touching, or individually around each end of the belt? Ask Goatherder about the liners. He would probably have good advice.
When I got the flat initially there was no tape. Now the tape wraps around both layers and at both ends. The inner tube has also been upgraded. No more 99 cent inner tubes for me. I'm done with them forever!