recycled parts and ideas

GoldenMotor.com

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I am about to start a build with the broken 42cc chainsaw engine. I have welded a #25 sprocket on it. It was one I had laying around. I also have about a twelve inch scooter wheel and chain that was laying around. I bought another #25 chain so I would have enough to use the wheel and the engine together.

Tomorrow I guess I will start work on the engine drive combination.

What I wanted to mention is how much trouble it was to break that chain. Yes I got it done but it was a pain. Here is what I found. With a park chain breaker you can only get a small amount of the pin out. I just couldn't get the angle right or the drive rod is too large not sure which it was.

so with just a tiny bit out my vise grips wouldn't catch onto the pin. I used a #6 finishing nail to drive the pin a bit farther out. Just enough for the vise grip to grab on. I used a second pair to hold the chain while I pulled the pin out. With a little trial and error, I managed to get it out far enough to break the chain. Getting it back to together was a little clamping it with pliers. There was also a hammer it home component as well.

So it can be done, but it is a little harder than the bicycle chain with the bicycle tool.
drawing of proposed engine and drive train assembly

all this mounted on a home made luggage rack over the rear tire.

Last edited:

hill climber

Sep 11, 2008
paso robles, california
home made luggage rack? let me throw this out there. i have built a few rack mounts now and found the easiest place to start is with an extra set of front forks. most can be easily spread to fit over the rear frame and are great struts.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Nice idea hill climber, I was also wondering how to spread them since I would love to put a mountain bike rear wheel on front with a engine of some kind on top of the front wheel with a chain to the sprockets. I can't figure out how to spread that front fork.

I dont have one of those screw jacks...car jack???

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
somehow I keep getting the ones with pipes all the way down and those plates welded onto them. The old flat ones I haven't seen lately.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Todays project is a massive weldathon... in my case it will be a disaster I'm sure but I have to try again lol.

I have the engine frame for the 42 recycle to weld some supports on. Then I have the worn out but comfortable seat to weld to a seat post and in a reasonable position (tilt wise).

then if the sprocket arrives today I need to weld it. I will be looking around for a hinge for the 42 engine later. I also need to start that homelite to make sure that whatever I did to fix it still works.

The ebike I am building using the extra sprockets on the crank, will be the only bike I have that I can ride on a damp day. I think If it works as planned it will be an interesting bike.

I know this is boring but then my wife tells me I am boring so spread the misery I always say.

xPosTech

The Old Master Motorized Bicycle Builder
Oct 23, 2008
SETexas
Tractor Supply has hinges with no screw holes. They must be welded on but look better than door hinges. Since you like welding so much. ;)

In keeping with the thread title . . . I saw somewhere that garage door chain is a match for the drive. Can get at a garage door place. They also have master links by the pound. They can also break the chain for you.

I would assume the chain is pre-stretched. :rolleyes:

Ted

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
ah but the chain is not a bike chain which I think is a garage door chain. It is a #25 which is used on scooters. I have no idea what else it is used for.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I think I have this engine drive train welded together. I'll know sometime this week whether it will run or not.