Where does this 30lb battery go??

GoldenMotor.com

Diver

Sep 25, 2010
Seattle
Hey guys, just unpacked my ebike kit from China, noticed this heavy block of a battery (must weigh 25-40lbs?).

It won't fit in the center frame, just doesn't seem to go on the top. I know I can mount it on a rear rack but those aluminum racks seem pretty flimsy for this task.. maybe I can re-enforce a rear rack- build my own?

Where does this battery go?

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
I'm a petrol head, I have to be careful and hold back on where I think it should go. On the bike, will it fit under the top tube, or is it too cramped there?

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Whats the size of your battery And the dimensions of your frame? If it wont fit in the frame with a custom mount, I'd say you have no option but to mount it on a rear rack.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
most racks are rated for 50 lbs if you get a good one. i personally prefer the battery mounted on the back. only time it will seem top heavy when moving it around. when driving the bike it will balance out just like it does with your body.

Diver

Sep 25, 2010
Seattle
Yeah, build your own custom like I did.

My battery is 26 lb.
Wow, I like what you've made Mike B, looks exactly right..heavy duty.

You wouldn't happen to have more pics or plans, etc.. pretty please?

Btw, it doesn't fit in the center frame, not unless I want to give up pedaling!

Maybe a moderator should move this thread or posts to "batteries" section, I didn't see it before I started the thread!

Diver

Sep 25, 2010
Seattle
Here's the finished product. I mounted the battery right in the center of the frame on a brand new Giant Revel (aluminum frame). I have to replace the previous rear motor because I got angry and broke it or bent the axle- something. If you guys remember I got angry with my HT and beat it repeatedly with a hammer.
So here she is. I put dense folded shipping foam in the center between the battery and the frame to cushion it. I also bought "hole-y" steel frame straps at Lowes for $5 a peice (there's 3), used carriage bolts and lock nuts to the outside of frame- no drilling into the frame, and I got a bag of zip ties and a roll of Gorilla tape. It's all secure and looking sharp!

Diver

Sep 25, 2010
Seattle
What are the specs on that battery? You must have mad range if it's a 20ah LiFePO4!
I'm not really sure.. I may find out one day- I hear it's around 25-30 miles.
I just wanted the big ass battery in case I needed it for some reason- ha!
Better to have a big ass battery in your bike frame and never need it then to need a big ass battery in your bike frame and not have it!