Can it be done?

GoldenMotor.com

Greybeard

Feb 8, 2011
Sequim WA
I've drawn up a jackshaft, two speed. It would be much easier and cleaner looking if the drive went to the wheel on the right side. I plan on a Whizzer sheave and belt. The idea I have would move a disc brake to the right side as well, and reversing the crank and drive from the pedals to the left side.
This would entail a freewheel that has been reversed.

I don't know much about the attachment of the freewheels in a bike hub, and this system would work if a hub/freelwheel combo would allow the reversal. The alternative is using a crank/sprocket freewheel like are used in the shifter kits, and locking the freewheel on the hub. The drawback to the crank/freewheel is having the chain going all the time.

Anyone have any ideas?

Greybeard

Feb 8, 2011
Sequim WA
If I'm understanding what I'm reading on line, what I'll need is a flip/flop hub. That there is/are left hand thread freewheels with sprockets that were made for BMX riders. Along with the lefthand freewheel, I will need a special locking nut. That will take care of the left side drive. On the right side, I will need a disc brake adapter that uses the righthand thread, screw it on and attach with a mig as it would unthread itself when I activate the brakes.
Am I getting close?

moonerdizzle

Jun 28, 2009
Cheese head capitol
a flip flop hub does not allow use of a left side drive sprocket unless you can find a old DK DualDrive hub, i think profile made a duel drive hub also some years back, as for mig welding anything to a bmx hub your going to have to use a spool gun with aluminum wire and pure argon sheilding gas, i dont know what it is with aluminum but you cant use CO2 or Arco (argon and CO2 mixed)