Anyone ever have clutch gear cracking problem?

GoldenMotor.com
My smaller clutch sprocket cracked. I have an ad in the swap section looking for a new one, but is this a normal problem?

Original symptom I had, was I was going along just fine then seemed to lose power. Came to a stop and realized my clutch was not pulled in, yet I was still idling. Took the clutch plate off and found a pile of rubber. I tried tightening the clutch nut and still didn't turn over.

Figuring it was the pads I ordered a pair and installed them today. Same issue, pop the clutch and get nothing. Took clutch plate off, started monkeying around and saw the cracked sprocket. All that is left of the "key" is a pile of dust in the bottom of the case.

My camera is loaned out right now so all I have is the droid, but you can clearly see the crack in this pic.

Anyone else ever see this?

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
i have not heard of that part failing. Normally, if you put a dab of grease on that gear every few months, it endures rather well.

I have less than 2 months on the motor before it failed.

Seems pistonbikes has the parts but it's 5 for the gear(worth it), 3 for the woodruff key( if thats the right part, kinda pricey), and 9.35 for shipping(5.20 is actual cost). Kinda feel like I'm getting bent over for $17.35.

I'm also not happy I got the motor from pistonbikes and that it failed in under 2 months. Originally thought it was the clutch pads and ordered a set from him, at almost $15 shipped.

Last edited: