This SBP expansion chamber...requires alot of maintenance

GoldenMotor.com

James912

Apr 12, 2011
Florida
This xchamber is leaking on nearly all the silicone tubes, and between the chamber and muffler connection. Does it ever end? They definitely don't send u enough silicone to plug every connection on it.....Now i have to go back down to Advanced auto parts, or home depot and get some more hose clamps. I think i'll get some high temperature sealant too.

oldtimer54

May 15, 2010
On a bike
I ended up making a bent pipe to replace the copper parts and brazing it together. The copper and hoses they use to hold this chamber together are cheesy for sure.

James912

Apr 12, 2011
Florida
yeah, ill probably end up doing that or welding it together. This silicone tubing doesn't seal worth a flip. This xchamber will only fit on my bike one way, alon the left side with the end along my tube that my gas tank is on. It made a spot on my leg when my leg touched it. The blood rushed to that part of my skin to keep my skin cool. Now i have to find something to put over my xchamber so i wont burn myself, or burn a hole in my shorts. My shorts didn't have any damage surprisingly.

oldtimer54

May 15, 2010
On a bike
yeah, ill probably end up doing that or welding it together. This silicone tubing doesn't seal worth a flip. This xchamber will only fit on my bike one way, alon the left side with the end along my tube that my gas tank is on. It made a spot on my leg when my leg touched it. The blood rushed to that part of my skin to keep my skin cool. Now i have to find something to put over my xchamber so i wont burn myself, or burn a hole in my shorts. My shorts didn't have any damage surprisingly.
I use a fiberglass header wrap on mine sprayed it with some Hi temp black stove pant and it looks and works great.

F_Rod81

Dealer
Jan 1, 2011
Denver, CO
I'm in the process of welding up a permanent fix for my expansion chamber. The silicone is sent as a temporary means of installation, because every bike is different. I haven't had any leaks though... try some muffler/tailpipe sealer

James912

Apr 12, 2011
Florida
Will do. The silicone is nice and tight but it leaks just past the curve. I put a hose clamp and i cant tighten that anymore. Its as tight as it can get, and still leaking Hopefully some of what f_rod81 said will do. I'm going to get it welded together someday.....

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
I used the stock head pipe (port matched ofc), slid right in to the expansion chamber with a lil chunk of the SBP system welded on as an adapter & a pipe clamp to ease assembly/repair;

more info here: SBP expansion chamber mod

It can be a touch tricky depending on the bike tho *shrug*

give me vtec

Jun 19, 2009
SoCal
yeah i got tired of the silicone coming apart and leaking oil too so I welded mine... its the only way to go IMO.

using an old exhaust down tube, tune it to get the correct length ... then just weld it in place.

i love mine. its a great design, there is just absolutely no way to make one to fit every bike and kit. thats why it comes in pieces.

to do it right really requires a hacksaw, stock exhaust pipe, and a welder.

James912

Apr 12, 2011
Florida
I loosened my flowernut. i actually took it out, and screwed it in a few turns. now i dont get any thing from thr clutch. i have to tighten my flowernut bqck up, otherwise, i dont get any resistance from my clutch. The flower nut has to be tight. otherwise u dont get any resistance from the clutch and therefore cant start your motor. I hate chinese sh**! Back to the drawing board on how to get my engine to idle.....

steampunk

Mar 10, 2011
lakewood co
check out the way that f-rod has his mounted...i thought it was slick...his expamsion chamber is amost to his dropouts....ive been riding with him...it works awesome.......and well just in case you were wondering....all the expansion chambers are like that...the burning....mine is worse lol

here is a pic of how mine lays up....btw ive seen the header wrap stop alot of burns....

Last edited:

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
Because of the tight frame restrictions on my bike I used a flexible copper pipe ment for a hot water heater. It's the same size as the copper fittings and you can bend it anyway you want. I was able to run the pipe directly under the pedal crank out of the way. I also bought the 6" blue tubing to go with the pipe and cut it in two. The new 1" black silicone tubing is thick...very thick, 4 woven layers and should last longer than the blue tubing. The 3/4" black is the opposite, thin with no woven reinforcement but it fits inside the 1" stuff if you want a really thick coupler. I screw clamped a coat hanger wire to the copper pipe to hook the spring to.

It worked good for me :)

muddybike

Jul 31, 2010
Calgary
I as well was quite disappointed to see that the blue silicon that came with the slp kit , only lasted one short season.
As a short term fix I used some exhaust repair tape, that melts to seal , and then covered it with a chunk of lol silicon baking mat cut to size , wan wrapped 2 times around , and clamped tightly with hose clamps, looks kinda hack but im sure it will last until I can get around to welding it.
SBP should have recommend buying xtra tubing when someone purchases the expansion chamber it really does not last with the heat it is expected to work with , + a lot of the pieces that came with my pipe were very very small in length, and not up to the task of sealing.

Ernst

May 28, 2011
Turlock Ca
This xchamber is leaking on nearly all the silicone tubes, and between the chamber and muffler connection. Does it ever end? They definitely don't send u enough silicone to plug every connection on it.....Now i have to go back down to Advanced auto parts, or home depot and get some more hose clamps. I think i'll get some high temperature sealant too.

I know that there are many great replies to this thread but, I wanted to say thank you James and all since I am new and will have the SBP Expansion kit as soon as they deliver it.

Great Thread to say the least.

dance1

Ernst

May 28, 2011
Turlock Ca
Okay I have the kit and a fellow MB'er with a a welder and a friend who runs a machine shop.

I believe I will run this under and back with the goal to avoid potential contact with heat and to get the sound as far away as possible.

I understand I can use the stock muffler's pipe and weld.

I will continue to read but any suggestions on this modification.

I hope to get to it tomorrow.

On the same line I understand I can have an album and post photos here. That sounds good.

I'll start with this expansion mod and include mods and build plus trips which I am sure I will be doing.