Carb gasket fell off?!

GoldenMotor.com

SoFresh

Nov 1, 2010
US
So today on my ride to work I was going along and all of a sudden my motor bogs down so I kill the engine and slow down to check it out. The carb was completely off o the manifold and only half of the gasket was there, apparently it hand ripped off and flown off.
I didn't want to be late so I started to peddle along but it was quite far still, so I put the carb back on and put my foot behind it and the bar for the seat to keep it on while riding and it worked to get me the rest of the way to work.

So, what is the best thing to use for the gasket?
I may be able to take the one from an old nt carb I have laying around.
Whith the old gasket the carb would wiggle a little bit around the gasket so i would probably get a better seal with a new one anways.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Are you talking about the intake manifold gasket? Where the intake mates with the cylinder? Or, are you saying the carburetor came loose from the manifold? There is no gasket for the carb. It simply slides onto the manifold and tightened with a clamp but it should be sealed with a good gasoline resistant sealer. If the gasket between the manifold and cylinder failed it was probably due to loose bolts. You can get gasket material from any auto parts store and make your own. It too should be sealed and the two bolts torqued to approximately 50 inch pounds. Good luck. Let us know how you make out.
Tom

SoFresh

Nov 1, 2010
US
The carb came off of the intake manifold.
There was a silicone gasket between the carb and intake manifold.
Btw it is a CNS carb. I'll take a picture in a few mins and post it up.

WildAlaskan

Sep 30, 2010
alaska
i took my intake manifold off recently and the gasket tore upso i used a cerial box for a gasket i cut two out to shape then used rtv sealent to seal em togheter then put sealent on cylinder and on manifold sanwhiched eveything on let it cure and wham bam a cheap effective gaskit
im not sure how long it will hold up but so far for about a month it has held up

SoFresh

Nov 1, 2010
US
Correction, It was the nylon bushing that is supposed to keep the CNS carburetor tight on the intake manifold.

I think what I am going to do is just put on a NT carb I have laying around from an older kit. Should work fine.
My CNS was never fully tight. It could always wiggle with ease. So, I am assuming it wasn't ever fully sealed. I'm curious as to how it will perform with the NT on there. I did a quick test fitting a little bit ago and it looks like it will go on there nice and tight!