Panama Jack Cruiser Project advice

GoldenMotor.com

chopperloui

May 24, 2011
Michigan
Hi everyone! I'm a curious newby to this craze. I have odered an 80 cc kit off ebay & was considering my first build to be the Panama Jack Beach Cruiser from Walmart. I'd greatly appreciate any advice for motorizing this bike.

Thanks Dale

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Welcome to the forum, Dale!
I recommend that you do an introduction post in the introduce yourself forum.
Introduce Yourself - Motorized Bicycle: Engine Kit Forum
It's just polite. :)

As for your bike of choice, it will motorize just like any other cantilever framed bike.
Cantilever or beach cruiser bikes are one of the most popular styles of bicycle to convert.
Read up on the newb threads: Classic Instructions for Building and Repairing Motorized Bicycle Engine Kits - Motorized Bicycle: Engine Kit Forum
You can also do a site search on "Panama Jack" or Cranbrook, or "Cranny" for more info
on previous builds.
I hope that you enjoy this place!

Mr.Gadget

Nov 9, 2010
South Carolina
As with the warm welcome from GearNut, I also welcome you, but with information about my Panama Jack.
Mine WAS a beautiful build. I road it every where up untill about 700 miles. One day while doing an after ride wipe down, I found TWO frame breaks. Just under the welds where the cargo rack is mounted to the frame.
I had a friend try to weld it. but the aluminum was to thin, and the welds did not hold up.
From what I read, and posted, it comes up 50-50, some have problems, and others don't. If you look around, most people will not recomend a lower end aluminum frame, and I am now one of those people.
Read this link about mine, and decide for your self.
Good Luck. And always stay safe.
http://motorbicycling.com/f3/panama-jack-failure-26626.html

Mr.Gadget

Nov 9, 2010
South Carolina
When I bought mine from WalyWorld, Mine was advertised as Aluminum. Others have stated that they have seen a steel version as well. In the last post of my PJ's failure, I put to rest that mine was aluminum.
I used a N45 disk magnet, VERY STRONG. The magnet did not stick to any portion of the frame. Just parts that were already know to be steel.
So since you might be in WallyWorld, take a look around for a product that has any form of magnet, (I am sure you can find something) take the magnet and touch it to several sections of the frame. If it attaches, it's steel. If you find a steel one,,,,,,I'd say get it!!! It did make a very nice build.

I feel ciertian, that if I had the steel version, my bike would still be out cruizing around.