Alternate/custom sprockets

GoldenMotor.com

Automocycle

Sep 10, 2010
Berea, KY
Has anyone tried to customize a sprocket from a rear bike wheel for use as the drive sprocket for a bike engine?

I have a "mega range" sprocket from a MTB wheel that I'm thinking of modifying for use as the drive sprocket, but I'm uncertain as to whether to proceed. The main worry I have is that the bike sprocket won't be able to handle the torque from the engine (an 80cc from Zoombicycles). In all the **** I've put a bike through, I've never broken a sprocket, but engine-power is a fair bit different than leg-power.

Any thoughts, or suggestions as to an alternate sprocket would be most appreciated!

Thanks,
-Steve

Automocycle

Sep 10, 2010
Berea, KY
I've looked at that site, actually. Pretty neat stuff. I've considered ordering sprockets from various places, but I figured I should try to make use of the junk I have laying around the shop before I add to the piles with more stuff! :D I also like to see what sort of contraptions I can rig up with the pieces laying about.

Thanks for the tip!

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
You can always get a circular plate of steel, drill out your mounting holes, and take any gears off the cassette you want and bolt them to your plate.

Though, be careful of chain pitch on the sprocket teeth.

Automocycle

Sep 10, 2010
Berea, KY
That's a good idea... I *think* the chain pitch is correct, but haven't taken the sprocket off the cassette yet to try to match it to the chain.