exhaust heat range?

GoldenMotor.com

halfevil333

May 18, 2010
florida, USA
...so I was thinking of using some permatex cold weld to seal pinholes in my exhaust, it can withstand up to 300deg' faren' constant...
does anyone believe these things exceed 300degrees?

...BY THE WAY--COLD WELD IS FUEL RESISTANT!!!!!!
after many frustrations w/kreem, and other tank sealers going quite badly due to the ethenol in our fuel, I found "cold weld"!!! been on my tank for about two months now & NO LEAKAGE!!!!!

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
Pipes get very hot but the temp depends on how close it is to the exhaust port.

All you can do is try. Sandpaper, wire brush, and carb cleaner spray would go a long way to making sure if there is a chance the epoxy stays on or not. Any contamination will cause the epoxy to fail. Point of application MUST be clean :)

squirrel

Dec 2, 2010
hills of northern cali
im in a similar situation with my sbp expansion chamber exhaust kit....really it came with an aluminum header, copper tubing, and steel exhaust pipe. im using a product called quicksteel, its advertised to withstand 600deg F. its millable,tappable, and unaffected by chemicals. im giving it plenty of time to cure since its right by the exhaust port but yesterday i wrapped the whole thing in heat wrap...it looks pretty sick. If the weather stays nice and i get a ride in ill let you know how it holds up!

squirrel

Dec 2, 2010
hills of northern cali
i was able to take my cruiser out for another short break in ride.
the quicksteel didnt hold up like i had expected, this was purely my fault in that i failed to mount the pipe suffeciently to the frame and it twisted at the header, breaking the seal. With the clamps that came with the sbp kit i tightened up the connections, took her for a ride, and i dont see any leaks coming through the heat wrap.