easy DIY throttle.(not twist)

GoldenMotor.com

earl.k

Jan 19, 2011
PA! USA
i got sick of the junk throttle units that came in all the kits i have bought. after a few new cables and a close call with the side of a car. do to my cabel frying and sticking.(wide open!) i just knew it was time to change something. im soon going to have a twist shifter. so to make it easy i am going to use a break leaver for a throttle. its not for everyone, but it works really well.

lever-throttle-wide-open.jpg[/IMG]
also.. you can use a left hand break leaver with added pad, faced in. and have a thumb throttle. sorry no pics of that yet.

Last edited:

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I put a brake lever on my new friction drive. I don't really trust the throttle that came with the used motor and i had a bunch of brake levers around. I picked a purdy purple on and turned it upside down so it wouldn't get confused with the brake lever that actually works the rear brakes. So far it does just fine.

I have in the past used shifters with the click stop removed they work pretty well also.

mbuna420

Oct 9, 2010
Oregon
That is what I do as well I really hate those plastic twist grip although before I broke it in a small crash I was using the old clutch lever from my first kit it was nice to have a 3/4 throttle stop I could rest my arthritic hands for a second or two if I needed. I need to figure out how to put a stop on the new brake lever. great minds think alike

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Locking the throttle open, even at 3/4 is not a good idea. Whatever the means you use to disengage the lock could take precious time away from the time needed in case of a panic situation. A spring return to idle is the best/safest way. Manually disengaged cruise control is not for motorized bicycles.
Tom

joabthebugman

Jun 21, 2010
ocoee fla
I bought a Kikker Bonesaw Napa mini chopper that had the throttle lever set up

I liked it
The only issue I had was that it added too many levers to the handle bars of the Point beach I was planning on putting the motor onwith the two brake levers and the clutch lever

Thought about getting a twist clutch and double brake lever to free up the landscape a little

I decided to use the set up on the OCC Schwinn we are building for my 11 year old granddaughter
The throttle is way smoother than a China twist and it will be easy to govern the bike with a simple bolt through the handle

Her dad is insisting on a 10mph limit
Can't say i blame him

mbuna420

Oct 9, 2010
Oregon
I could understand it causing some people some problems but I am quit ambidextrous I just have arthritis and this helped me by letting me hang my hands for a few seconds instead of stopping every 10 min to do the same and I could always stop forward propulsion by pulling the clutch so I see it as a non issue

earl.k

Jan 19, 2011
PA! USA
I put a brake lever on my new friction drive. I don't really trust the throttle that came with the used motor and i had a bunch of brake levers around. I picked a purdy purple on and turned it upside down so it wouldn't get confused with the brake lever that actually works the rear brakes. So far it does just fine.

I have in the past used shifters with the click stop removed they work pretty well also.
ill never use a stock throttle again!. im not saying im set on this idea for life. but the ones that come in any kits iv got are junk. good idea to replace as early as you can. and this is a easy way to do it. and i think it should last alot longer. because your pulling the cable forward. not pulling it over a crappy plastic mount, twisting it back and forth. like i said. mine frayed and started sticking in side the housing. not good!

earl.k

Jan 19, 2011
PA! USA
I bought a Kikker Bonesaw Napa mini chopper that had the throttle lever set up

I liked it
The only issue I had was that it added too many levers to the handle bars of the Point beach I was planning on putting the motor onwith the two brake levers and the clutch lever

Thought about getting a twist clutch and double brake lever to free up the landscape a little

I decided to use the set up on the OCC Schwinn we are building for my 11 year old granddaughter
The throttle is way smoother than a China twist and it will be easy to govern the bike with a simple bolt through the handle

Her dad is insisting on a 10mph limit
Can't say i blame him
it will make it so i have to stack to levers on one side. but ill have a twist shift. so it will make that easy. and i have a clutch break combo on the other side. i love that thing. iv never used a stock one. they look like junk so i never bothered. look into a clutch break combo. they are like $25. but its worked great for me. and saved room.

earl.k

Jan 19, 2011
PA! USA
Locking the throttle open, even at 3/4 is not a good idea. Whatever the means you use to disengage the lock could take precious time away from the time needed in case of a panic situation. A spring return to idle is the best/safest way. Manually disengaged cruise control is not for motorized bicycles.
Tom
i would never use a locking throttle either. thats why im using this idea. because my other one locked open.lol i guess thats a bit different. but anyway it cant be a good idea to have you throttle locked oped. even though iv thought alot of times on open road, that it would be nice to have cruise control.:)

joabthebugman

Jun 21, 2010
ocoee fla
and i have a clutch break combo on the other side. i love that thing. iv never used a stock one. they look like junk so i never bothered. look into a clutch break combo. they are like $25. but its worked great for me. and saved room.
Never heard or thought of that
On the bike I'm building for my self I want the handlebars to be as clean as possible
I was thinking of using an old Norton throttle control for the brake and using a centrifical clutch
Maybe I can figure a way to make a double control from that

earl.k

Jan 19, 2011
PA! USA
Never heard or thought of that
On the bike I'm building for my self I want the handlebars to be as clean as possible
I was thinking of using an old Norton throttle control for the brake and using a centrifical clutch
Maybe I can figure a way to make a double control from that
here is a pic of the thing. i dont know why, but i cant find them anymore on any site? i got mine form Bicycle Engine Kit - Gas Powered Bicycle - Bike Motor Kit - Bicycle Engines - Grubee - Beach Cruisers - Bikeberry - BikeBerry.com. but i cant find them on there now..(maybe out of stock) also, it is just a 3 speed shifter break combo used ase a clutch break combo. so if you have a old shifter break combo. you may be able to use it?

professor

Oct 14, 2009
Buffalo ny area
Even though I rode motorcycles for a long time, I didn't like the twist grip throttle on either the electric bike or the gas job . Ended up using one of those thumb -push / finger pull gear shift levers for a throttle. I absolutely love it. Zero effort.

Don't remember which shifter to use (I think it's the one for the left hand). Had to shorten up the travel with a bit of metal welded in.
The lever mounts parallel with the handlebar on the inside.
Your natural thumb position is to rest right above the lever.
The screw in the center of the lever is the drag adjustment or no drag (spring back to off as the throttle spring on the carb linkage pulls it back).
Mine is set up as a cruise control- very light spring and very light action. If I had a cent. clutch rather than a manual, I would not have the cruise deal.

Right hand has that and a dual pull brake.

Left has the HT clutch lever, derailer shifter (another one of those thumb/ finger shifters) and the click trigger for the jackshaft 3 speed hub.
Simple and works well.

earl.k

Jan 19, 2011
PA! USA
so i got a chance to use this idea today.. it worked great, as expected. it is easy to adjust, easy to fit full rang throttle. and im still going with it will last longer then the stock one.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I am using a gear shifter lever for the throttle on my latest build they make great thumb throttles. If you build on a mountain bike you usually lose the front shift control anyway. You don't need fifteen gears on a motor bike. so there is your throttle.

earl.k

Jan 19, 2011
PA! USA
I am using a gear shifter lever for the throttle on my latest build they make great thumb throttles. If you build on a mountain bike you usually lose the front shift control anyway. You don't need fifteen gears on a motor bike. so there is your throttle.
right on.. i have been thinking on just flipping my break lever around(facing inward) and making it into a thumb throttle.

what kind of shifter are you using as a throttle?? you know the handle bar choke lever that come with the CNS carbs??

i have one of them that will not stay in place no matter how much i tighten it.. and i dont mean the the whole thing wont stay put. just the lever part, so to use it for a choke. you must hole it in till you want it off.

but i got thinking, it may make a good thumb throttle. other then the fact that it would be facing the wrong way if i mounted it to where i could use it like that.

if its that old school mountain bike shifter. and its for the left side. that would work great:)

either way, when im done. ill have pics up of whatever throttle i end up using...

earl.k

Jan 19, 2011
PA! USA
i just looked at the choke lever that comes with the CNS... if i hang it upside down, it would work fine as a right side thumb throttle.

well, it could work fine. once i get a throttle cable to use.. im going to try it out and maybe add a small spring. so the spring in the carbs throttle housing dont have to do all the work pulling my cable back when i let off the gas.

pics soon.. no cam right now:(