Pocket bike engine + cvt build start

GoldenMotor.com

oldtimer54

May 15, 2010
On a bike
I built one with a cvt and made a rack mount, for dual suspension.
With the help of NEAT TIMES and others I found parts to drive all sprockets from the right side.(the cvt reverses the rotation) It works great.

The other is in frame and homemade shift kit with parts from SBP.
It has 6 speed and also works great. I first built a china girl and found these CAG motors have way more power and reliability.
Very ice build. Thats what I want. Sooo what kind of bottom end do these motors have. I need a real hill climber.

old motorbike

Sep 21, 2008
Fl.
Very ice build. Thats what I want. Sooo what kind of bottom end do these motors have. I need a real hill climber.
The CVT one with an 11 tooth to 44 tooth will take off with a great charge and almost wheelie. that should be good enough for almost any hill. Here, I use a 14:44 and it'll go any overpass without strain.

The shift kit has enough gears to go up any grade. Although it will go 34mph (GPS) in 4th out of 6 gears.

Cag motors stock have a lot of torque from about 4-8k rpms depending how tight the clutch is (automatic).
You can also buy them in 4 stages of higher output (bigger pistons-better porting etc.)

My in-frame is a stocker and the CVT is a stage 2. They ALL need the metal starting housing and claw. or will break soon.

kerf

Jun 28, 2010
Birmingham, Al
I'm running a left side pedal drive with the CVT drive on the right. The 8mm drive chain ratio is 11/72 with a CY-R460. Although that engine isn't known for bottom end, the bike accelerated pretty much like a car and has climbs hills great. Running at a leisurely 30 mph, it's only turning 7125 rpm out of 11,000. It's as close to a factory moped as I've come.

http://motorbicycling.com/attachments/f36/29906d1286725617-snake-eater-cvt-after2.jpg

oldtimer54

May 15, 2010
On a bike
The CVT one with an 11 tooth to 44 tooth will take off with a great charge and almost wheelie. that should be good enough for almost any hill. Here, I use a 14:44 and it'll go any overpass without strain.

The shift kit has enough gears to go up any grade. Although it will go 34mph (GPS) in 4th out of 6 gears.

Cag motors stock have a lot of torque from about 4-8k rpms depending how tight the clutch is (automatic).
You can also buy them in 4 stages of higher output (bigger pistons-better porting etc.)

My in-frame is a stocker and the CVT is a stage 2. They ALL need the metal starting housing and claw. or will break soon.
Thats got to be my next build. Where do you get the metal starting housing and claw and what do you think it cost to buy the motor and parts? I have a SBP shift kit do I still need a trans? Great build I want one bad.

old motorbike

Sep 21, 2008
Fl.
The metal housing is for sale on pocket bike parts on e bay.
You need a trans, about 3:1 for an output to the jackshaft (pocket bike parts) as the china girl engine is geared down to the clutch. I used a 17:44 with 05B chain (common to pocket bikes) in to the jackshaft. Then the out, 10:44 bike chain SBP kit.