how about it?

GoldenMotor.com

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I was looking around the shop this morning and realized that I have a twenty inch rear wheel with sprockets and free wheels on both sides. It was left over from an ebike using the curry wheel and motor. I burned up the motor. So now I'm thinking I need an engine with a centrifugal clutch and bike type chain sprocket on the end. Something I can rear rack mount. Anybody got any good ideas for a dependable engine for me. I really want one that will be dependable as I hated all that motor trouble I had with the china girl kit. I would like a motor as dependable as my lawn mower motor not as undependable as my weed eater. Also at a reasonable price.

atombikes

Feb 14, 2010
Northern VA
I was looking around the shop this morning and realized that I have a twenty inch rear wheel with sprockets and free wheels on both sides. It was left over from an ebike using the curry wheel and motor. I burned up the motor. So now I'm thinking I need an engine with a centrifugal clutch and bike type chain sprocket on the end. Something I can rear rack mount. Anybody got any good ideas for a dependable engine for me. I really want one that will be dependable as I hated all that motor trouble I had with the china girl kit. I would like a motor as dependable as my lawn mower motor not as undependable as my weed eater. Also at a reasonable price.
My vote would be the Harbor Freight 79cc 2.5hp engine. I don't have mine mounted yet, but seems like its gonna be pretty good. There is another thread on here for a rack mounted Kawasaki engine, and it sure does look like the HF.

Dec 18, 2009
new jersey
go with a little honda...all their engines seem to have bearings instead of bushings, and i know hondas are the bomb.i have one sitting around waiting for something, it sat in a flooded basement for 6 years, finally took it off the paint-sprayer it was on and took it all apart to clean it, put it back together and it ran like a top.the inside was filled with water for 6 years....i went to a junkyard a while ago with a small engine/equipment section and the briggs were plentiful.found 2 tight ones with compression sitting in the back of a chevy pickup with a truck cap over them.5 and 2 1/2 horse. didn't take them though.they would'nt have wanted much for them, i would guess 10 a piece.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
My vote would be the Harbor Freight 79cc 2.5hp engine. I don't have mine mounted yet, but seems like its gonna be pretty good. There is another thread on here for a rack mounted Kawasaki engine, and it sure does look like the HF.
I agree with the harbor freight suggestion and it is a great deal, especially with the coupon. Here's a pic of the rack and Kawasaki motor on a tandem that atombikes speaks of, and it works extremely well with 5hp:

and as a side note, a bud came round and dropped off an HD rear wheel with the same type hub on it (threaded on both sides) and a freewheeling 44t or the motor side. I'm adapting this to the tandem as I write this and thank John for giving us this $100 wheel for free! If you want to go big like this Kawasaki motor, the Honda 120 4hp is a great alternative and ultra reliable.

Last edited:

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I got to worrying about that sprocket on the wheel I have. I'm not sure how many teeth are on it. It is pretty small since it was meant for the E motor with a lot less rpms. I might need to do a little more thinking.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
I got to worrying about that sprocket on the wheel I have. I'm not sure how many teeth are on it. It is pretty small since it was meant for the E motor with a lot less rpms. I might need to do a little more thinking.
Get a bigger sprocket for it.....the one we got has a 6-bolt 44t on a freewheel that threads right on. They do exist.