Older Motorbike Project

GoldenMotor.com

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
I started this bike about ten years ago believing "bigger must be better". Starting with a middleweight 60's-70's Schwinn frame, widening the rear section, adding a cool looking moped front fork-headlight-drum brake combo, moped hand cotnrols, rear moped drum brake with oversized sprocket bolted on, and reworked Whizzer tank. The tank shifter initially went to a bell crank with an idler that engaged the primary belt. I recently changed the all-belt drive to a Third Millenium Energy autoclutch designed for the late Whizzers. I modified the clutch with a sprocket for the final drive and fabricated an adjustable bracket assembly to hold it. The motor is an eight horse Briggs cut way down to squeeze into the tight frame with welded motor mounts and a head brace for triangulation. Had to use countersunk allen bolts for the head and relocate the spark plug for accessibility. Super small front pedal sprocket and radically reshaped crank for clearance (it's a wide motor). Reworked shroud for a kinda non-Briggs look, built-in compression release, the autoclutch has a sprag bearing allowing easy pedal starting. Ten speed handlebar section with welded on flanges for level carb mounting. Trick choke mechanism with bar lever. It's a riot to ride. Not any faster than my 5hp bikes but gets there a lot quicker. It has a heavy feel to it because of the large bore motor pulsations. It's still in pre-assembly form until I get back to it. The tank lever will eventually engage a generator to the belt for lighting. The tank, cool stainless exhaust, engine mounts, velocity stack and other trick machine work was done by my buddies a Banzai Machine in HB, and the rear sprocket (an ebay item) was fitted to the hub by my machinist friend Dan. I hope to tear it all down soon for finishing.

Reactions: Toro1978

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
That's a beautiful bike whether you paint it or leave the finish ratty (as is).
I like the way you trimmed the fan shroud instead of just tossing it.
You must have a ton of hours in that bike.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Yes. it was a lot of hours of work for what I ended up with, but with some finish work and a few more goodies, I think it will be a great ride. Thanks for checking it out.