Clutch keeps comming loose

GoldenMotor.com

Watts

Mar 22, 2010
Ontario
After reconnecting chain and placing clutch pin back in bike was riding fine for 20km. Then I noticed the screw tightening the clutch string was loose and not allowing clutch to fully pull in (hence not being able to peddle while motor was turned off)....so I tightened the clutch string by adjusting the screw clamp further up (tighter) and the clutch is working fine, just that the clutch pin keeps coming loose while riding it (it comes up a quarter inch just enough that it wont clutch). Did I tighten the clutch line to much? I see a bolt on the top of the clutch but does not seem to help make it more snug. Any ideas ? Thanks

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
From what I can gather he's talking about the clutch actuator arm. Sounds to me like he's lost the pin that keeps it in the cover.
Remove the clutch actuator cover and see if you can pull the lever out of the cover easily. If so look for a small hole in the inside of the cover, about 3/32" in diameter. If that hole is empty you've found the problem. There should be a pin in that hole that locks the actuator arm/cam in and will not allow it to lift out of the cover. Get back to us with what you find.
Tom

Watts

Mar 22, 2010
Ontario
2door you are correct the clutch arm is missing the pin as the hole is empty. It clicked in that I had found a small pin type piece of metal on my floor and out of habit of not throwing anything away I kept it not knowing where it came from. Low and behold it was the pin and I simply clicked it back into place and now the clutch locks into place!!

Thanks for your help and good skills in deciphering my problems despite me not using correct terminology. Thanks again everyone especially 2door on this one.

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
2door you are correct the clutch arm is missing the pin as the hole is empty. It clicked in that I had found a small pin type piece of metal on my floor and out of habit of not throwing anything away I kept it not knowing where it came from. Low and behold it was the pin and I simply clicked it back into place and now the clutch locks into place!!

Thanks for your help and good skills in deciphering my problems despite me not using correct terminology. Thanks again everyone especially 2door on this one.
Watts,
Glad to hear you found that little guy. Before you ride the bike however I'd suggest that you secure that pin in the hole by either peening over the top of the hole or applying an adhesive to it so the pin can't come out. There is no need for the pin to be removed. If you ever need to remove the actuator cam you only need to remove the cover from the engine and rotate the arm about 90 degrees and it will come out from the top. Have fun, ride safe.
Tom