small wheel folding bike, which rc engine best for lightweight n performance ?

GoldenMotor.com

ot_ah

Jan 17, 2010
foshan
I got a small 16inch folding bike weight 13kgs and managed to shed it down to 9kg and working in weight reduction further... eg using hollow shaft at the peddle and using clips at the axles and replacing to 14inch rims and redoing the frame in lighter stainless 201 - these are my next to-do lists.

Riding in town is awesome experience and but riding between towns on small wheel bikes becomes tiring. I plan to cover say 40-50kms distance, or take public transport 1 way, and ride back.

Criteria-
The RC motor should be lightweight and enough torque for flat runs,
as power assist only, and if hills will stall the engine
I am prepared to jump off the bike to push it.
Friction mounting is easier to fit I think

If I can get my small bike to say 6.5kg after completion of the to-do-list
and add 1.5kg to the rc engine that would be perfect.

Issues with RC engines
eg for planes and cars - they rev fast eg 10000 rev/min
small shaft
no clutch
capacity say 26cc or less...

I am wondering which rc motor to use, where weight matter and still provide the
performance and durability.

Anyone done it before?
Any input or feedback is greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Ian

diceman2004

Aug 26, 2009
Kitchener , Ontario
i,m most definitely NO expert on the mater , but there are some very nice radio control airplane motors out there , some with a nice pull starter .

my concern is that ( same as many small weed wacker engines ) is the one sided cranks they use , aren,t really designed for lateral stress , and myself personally , i would go with a small chainsaw motor , which does have 2 bearings and is designed to handle lateral stress ,

many people here have had great success with small weed wacker motors , most of them being friction drives , as for the actual longevity of their motors , those people would have to tell you themselves .

ot_ah

Jan 17, 2010
foshan
thanks for the great tip.
should i use rc engines I will take note regarding lateral stress
and box in the shaft . Now I understand the purpose of that enclosure

http ://cyclehappy.com/library/robin335ccFrictionmountedRight.jpg

Elmo

Sep 3, 2009
Mississippi
i,m most definitely NO expert on the mater , but there are some very nice radio control airplane motors out there , some with a nice pull starter .

my concern is that ( same as many small weed wacker engines ) is the one sided cranks they use , aren,t really designed for lateral stress , and myself personally , i would go with a small chainsaw motor , which does have 2 bearings and is designed to handle lateral stress ,

many people here have had great success with small weed wacker motors , most of them being friction drives , as for the actual longevity of their motors , those people would have to tell you themselves .
ADam has over 2000 miles on his.
Elmo