Dax 50cc rear chain drive

GoldenMotor.com

bandito

May 22, 2009
colorado
Im thinking about getting one of these kits and was wondering about noise, reliability, is it a solid unit and does it need adjustments every time you ride it. Im tired of my friction drive being useless in wet weather here in Co. This has been the wettest year ever here .........just my luck. Id really like to hear from folks who own 1 of these kits............ how satified are you with the clutch operation? Can you peddle start it? Will it idle with the engine running and engaged?

Last edited:

unior

Jun 18, 2009
Lancaster, PA
Noise: The engine is way quiter than an HT. I used to pedal my HT (stock muffler with cat) out of my development at 6:30 in the morning to avoid waking up the neighbors. Now I start my engine before I leave my driveway.

Reliability: The engine mounting system has proved itself to be far more reliable than the HT's. I fought with broken studs on the HT....replaced them with 1/4 - 20 allthread and then they pulled out of the engine. So I JB welded the 1/4 - 20 studs in and they pulled out again. I believe this was because the engine was severely out of balance and vibrating like a sob....

Chain: The short primary chain is a piece of cake I havn't touched it since day one. The longer drive chain needs to be careful aligned just like any chain drive kit. However since I got mine right I havn't touched it in weeks. The nice thing about this kit vs the HT is that if your chain is out of alignment its easily adjustable. There is no need to try and tweak the engine mounting points. You can slide the small drive sprocket left to right on the jackshaft and/or raise or lower either side of the engine plate or jackshaft with a 9/16" wrench to align or tension the chain.

Clutch: It took a couple days to get used to the centrifigual clutch over a pull clutch. The biggest downfall is that you cannot pop/pedal start it because no matter how fast you pedal your not spinning the magnets inside the clutch. Your only spinning the outside bell so the clutch will not engage. Really though its not a big deal because its a piece of cake to reach back with your left hand and give the pull starter a quick tug (while riding). Its actually nicer and easier to just pull start the thing than have to pedal your ass off for a few seconds then pop the clutch.

I'm not exactly sure what you were asking when you said: "will it idle running with the engine engaged." At idle the clutch is disengaged touch the throttle and the clutch progressively engages up to around 12ish mph where it fully engages. To disengage the clutch you have to slow the bike to somewhere around 10 mph again.

Keep in mind my experience with motorized bicycles is limited to a 66cc HT kit and my dax titan kit with around 150miles on it. I'm very happy with it though....I don't mind tinkering but I ride this sucker to work every day and needed something more reliable than the HT. The titan does the job well. I havnt had to replace crappy hardware, drill and tap broken engine mounts etc. It never fails to start on the first pull and I havn't had to mess with anything from day one except for the drive chain...it needed a few adjustments before i got it just right.

My only small beef would be the PTO has a constant pesky oil seepage from the drain plug. I plan to try some teflon tape on the little beggar but I never got around to it yet. If that dosn't work I'll try blue loctite or RTV. I might spray the red engine cover black. I also thought about replacing the jackshaft bushings with bearings for less power loss to the rear wheel. My bushings were very tight when I got the kit but they may have loosened up by now.

bandito

May 22, 2009
colorado
Thanks unior................it looks like a solid kit from the pics on the site. Its a shame I have a honda motor but it has a shaft welded onto the c/s that wont let it work with that kit. I think selling the friction kit is the only way to go then I can get the dax kit. Im still studying ways to get this done.

Saddletramp1200

Custom MB Buiilder
May 7, 2008
Houston, Texas
Duane at Dax In my opinion has the best kits you can get. He is real smart and will bend over backwards to help the newbee as well as the professional builder. You can't go wrong buying from him. (c)

newzeey

Jun 27, 2009
WV
Ditto on Dax's customer service. The clutch handle on my son's 2 cycle kit SNAPPED-OFF on his second ride. I left a voicemail for Duane and the new clutch handle showed up two days later Free-of-Charge!!

Buddy

Jul 7, 2009
Ogden, Utah
The only adjustments I have to make is tightening the chain. Duane is the best guy to deal with you'll ever find. If you have any problems with installing the kit or any part problems he'll take care of you. I've got some pretty decent hills here in the Rockies and the Titan just sails up them without me ever having to pedal. It's pretty quiet too.