chopped stretched cruiser

GoldenMotor.com

damonjackson_spl

Dec 2, 2008
Hoebart Australia
i just put a glass black coat on her so you can see the frame better, i will be doing some additional cutting soon as I need to weld on a 1 1/8 head tube as I have a set of forks I want to put on, will have to get once machined up cause no one has been able to flow me an old 1 1/8 steel frame for me to cut the head tube off :(

anyway once I decide on the motor (briggs and stratton wont do anymore) I can start to fabricate the motor mounts and jackshaft fitment!!

thinking a 100cc yamaha go kart race engine... $450 i can pick a raw one for, blueprinted etc/

anyone's thoughts would be great..

cheers

D

oldcliff

Feb 9, 2009
Wilmington Ohio
Go with a Morini engine. Check the thread for "full suspension bikes". That one is great looking and is in the ballbark of your $450. It has a centrifical clutch and is over 5hp on
50cc's. Also you can pick up the vendor on that thread for the Morini engines. Hope this helps,

Oldcliff

damonjackson_spl

Dec 2, 2008
Hoebart Australia
how do those engine go with gearing and all? are they centrifical clutch?
you bolt a centrifugal clutch assembly to the motor, you can even use briggs and stratton engine with the right shaft dia and just need to make sure it some other features and you can use lawn mower horizontal shaft engines with high performance go kart race clutches, hence the B&S 3.75HP original idea..

then i was going through the thinking of why retrofit when i can get the real thing, 100cc yamaha go kart engines get them to 110km/h not realistic for a push bike but if i can get 60km/h I will be a happy man!!

Morani engines are supurb, but these 100cc race engines are $450 AUD I think the Morani's are more like $450USD plus shipping to OZ which is too expensive! I'd rather buy a genuine Honda GX50!!

anyway I have a Yong Xing HOnda GX50 copy in the workshop that I was going to build a motorised wheelbarrow for my father, I might steal that and give him a genuine briggs and stratton instead..

keep you posted..

oldcliff

Feb 9, 2009
Wilmington Ohio
Sounds good I'm sure the briggs would be ideal for the wheelbarrow! The GX50 would be way to hot for the wheelbarrow. I didn't know you had to plan in the exchange rate. That would make a difference.

damonjackson_spl

Dec 2, 2008
Hoebart Australia
ok can anyone help..

I am trying to use the gear calculator from the other forum but I dont think it is working out for what I need it to do..

I am wanted to do a 3 way jackshaft..

Honda gx50 (11t) drives a fixed sprocket on one side (22t)

then the other side of the jackshaft a chainring (40T)

and a freewheel as well on this side for the cranks to drive..

might take a photo, anyway I want to have the motor drive the rear wheel at the good old ratio 44/16

and still have the cranks working at a good ratio as well similar to 44/16

I have seen a few guys do it already and need to find out how to calculate!!!

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

damonjackson_spl

Dec 2, 2008
Hoebart Australia
ok after much thinking and edebating I am canning the honda GX50 and 3-eay jackshaft!

I am going to go belt drive, I will use a 49cc CAG pocket bike race motor with no reductions!! just a centrifugal clutch and press a one way roller bearing (like sprag clutch or freehweel) onto a machined down pocket bike pinion then press the belt drive cog..

sounds complicated but it is 100 times easier and with no reductions in the gearing. the gearing works out at 6500rpm for 30mp/h and this race engine can rev out to 9000rpm for 40 mp/h!

the gearing is a 40mm dia belt drive cog running onto a 20" BMX rim which is laced thru a 26" wheel..

I laced an old ARAYA 20" rim 36 hole to a old coaster 36hole 26" wheel and it surprisingly self centred itself and fitted into rear perfectly (look out GEBE hehe)

will lace the wheel up tonight if I get enough time to show you what I mean!

cheers

D

Poupoudoum

Feb 22, 2009
Bordeaux (FRANCE)
Maybe, the biggest problem will be the noise... a chopper with a two strokes engine at 9000 rpm is quite strange...

Nice job for the transmission with the chain and the pedals!

damonjackson_spl

Dec 2, 2008
Hoebart Australia
ok 3rd time lucky and i am sticking to it!!!

I am finishing the chopper using an engine i was going to sell, a 66cc Yong Xing centrifugal clutch engine..

anyway fabricated some nice enigne mounts using 4130 tubing and some 3mm plate, well i ahve to stick with this engine as I have made the mounts for i now LOL..

Attachments

damonjackson_spl

Dec 2, 2008
Hoebart Australia
oh and look at the 2nd pic, little did i know the engine is designed it seems to have a chain sneak inside the outter of the clutch..

I tried to get a pic of the chain sneaking through!~~

excellent!!

damonjackson_spl

Dec 2, 2008
Hoebart Australia
looks good, how do the centrfical clutch do on these engine?
works pretty good, great for taking off at lights..

they advertise it as a double clutch so centrifugal clutch and normal clutch lever so you can still freehweel (well drag the chain thru the engine like the normal HT engines)

little bit heavier and need wide bottom bracket to run them in a normal triangle frame..

have only ran it for 100km or so, so not run in yet..

damonjackson_spl

Dec 2, 2008
Hoebart Australia
ok big update..

got new triple trees for the chopper marz/ Z1 downhills with 20mm thru axle, after much thought again I have changed my mind due to more seckbacks like sourcing a 20mm front hub and lacing it to a new rim and still have not found a doner frame to get a 1 1/8th headtube to convert the chopper from 1" to 1 1/8th

So I have decided to put on the handmade triple tree rigid forks I built for my military bike (pics in my other build) and to build a set of board tracker inspired springer forks to put on my military bike, only took 4 lunch breaks in the workshop and got them done!! work great too!!

also see the frame integrated chain tensioner.. works like a charm and chain alignment is mint.. and also customized the exhaust, pretty poor angle out of the exhaust manifold but alignment is perfect!

just got to get CDI ignition/wiring done in and I'm ready for test drive

almost there now..

Attachments

damonjackson_spl

Dec 2, 2008
Hoebart Australia
finally finished, well for the time being anyway!!!!

ready for maiden voyage tomz morning, all wired up, cut and shut cranks, pull start add on, chain alignment perfect, ready to roll!!

will run it for a few hundred kms to press out any niggles then pull her down for paint!!

any ideas on colours? also what tires, white walls or flat black street tires? tell you what i dont mind the nobby's atm!!

also attached a pic of my miltary cruiser (my daily ride) now looks more boardtracker, had to make those springer forks up cause the triple t's are now on the strecthed!!

peace

Attachments

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Great Builds The Stretch Looks Bad!! I Like The Large Tire Look! What Size Are The Tires? Is That The New Deep V Rims That Are Said To Be Stronger? 24 Spoke? The Stretch Will Look Good With Any Color. Ha Ha Thanks For Sharing Ron

damonjackson_spl

Dec 2, 2008
Hoebart Australia
Great Builds The Stretch Looks Bad!! I Like The Large Tire Look! What Size Are The Tires? Is That The New Deep V Rims That Are Said To Be Stronger? 24 Spoke? The Stretch Will Look Good With Any Color. Ha Ha Thanks For Sharing Ron

front is 2.4" and rear is 2.1"

yeah these are super strong spider laced disc wheelset from my old MTB, look pretty badass in matte black!