Schwinn Point Beach FD Remake

GoldenMotor.com

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I'm glad the bike worked out so well for you, but was hoping to see more close up pictures of the roller hub mount part hinged to the engine mount. So the engine is reversed from what is "normal" with a drive line going to a sprocket or sheave on the rear wheel and has the engine crankshaft on the right side of the bike instead of the left side. Would that work then with an older S.A. hub that freewheels using it as the roller? Or would it require a fixie IGH? I keep getting mixed up with the rotation directions.
SB

mat_man

Jan 29, 2011
athens ga
An older S.A. hub would need to be driven in an CW rotation in normal operation.
This means it must be driven from the left side if used as a friction drive.

A chainsaw motor is perfect because it has a CW rotation.
The HF 79cc might could be tilted to allow a derailler chain to do figure 8.

You might could mod a Briggs to run off the camshaft in CW rotation.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Thanks for the PM Mat Man! Will check it out.

That was one of the cool things about this bike being an FD as it got the cylinder facing forward like it should be in "proper" M/C fashion. That lent greatly to its overall look.

That's an interesting idea MM taking one of the Briggs that had a camshaft PTO (like for reverse on a tiller) and running the roller. It will turn at 1/2 engine rpm which would allow a big roller which is efficient. Never occurred to me, pretty cool!

SB, to build a similar bike in this exact configuration would take the fixie hub. What you would have would be well worth the added expense.

I have to say that the black three speed bike is probably the best combination to make a multispeed bike. The drive train works so well and has so little lash you would think the transmission in internal to the engine like an M/C. Its such a pleasure to ride!

Last edited:

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
The black bike? Do you mean this red one?

I had been thinking that the red one would require a fixie IGH to work in that configuration. Makes for a great looking bike that no doubt is a real performer. Assuming one already had the bike with decent wheels and tires, which I do have (a Schwinn cantilever frame bike from one of the first ones from Taiwan when Schwinn was sold and which was very well made) and would also have the 99CC Predator already modified a bit with a better carburetor and air cleaner... the only real expense would be the fixie 3 speed hub. Something to think about. Even with buying a new engine and bike it makes for a pretty inexpensive build especially when you consider what you end up with. Sure beats a China Girl kit build, IMO.
SB