Gasoline resistant paint?

GoldenMotor.com

Erich_870

Dec 4, 2009
Alaska
Most two part epoxy paints are very fuel resistant. That is what they coat the inside and outside of fuel tanks with. Give your local paint store a call and ask if they carry two part epoxy paint and then ask to speak to whomever knows the most about them there.

Erich

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Bairdco & Tom,
That's good news about it working with bare metal. Tom, what kind of surface prep do you suggest?
SB
Silver,
Just follow the directions on the label. But keep in mind that any coating, paint, powder coat, chrome etc. will only be as smooth as the sub (base) surface. You can't hide sins with paint.
The smoother, defect free, that you can make the surface the better the finish will come out. With bare metal even very small scratches will show and can even be amplified by a clear coat. Also a dust free atmosphere is essential, and in the warmer weather, bug free.
Tom

kerf

Jun 28, 2010
Birmingham, Al
There is a product called DuraCoat for finishing firearms. It's widely used, reported to be tough as nails and chemical resistant. Some gun solvents contain some really strong stuff. You might want to contact them about gas resistance.

DuraCoat Firearm Finishes

Stuff ain't cheap but I guess "you gets what you pays for".

carpespasm

May 13, 2011
NE Florida
It might not be the kind of finish you're going for, but I've used "hammered metal" finish paints on gas tanks before to great success. The finish also camouflages minor pits and rough spots and is very glossy without needing any clear. Very nice for rat-rod type stuff and quite durable.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I just painted my bike. If you want to see it, check out the thread The Violator is born! Under the board tracker section. Anyway, the first time I started it, something wasn't right with my carb setup and it was pissing fuel all over the place. I fixed it, but the point is, it didn't hurt the paint one bit. And I didn't even clear it because I didn't have enough money to buy any clearcoat. I used duplicolor engine enamel that I bought at advance auto parts.

yodar

Jul 26, 2010
Orlando Fl
Probably need a licence to buy that in Canada :rolleyes: ...lol
I HAVE used Duracoat. It is an epoxy catalyzed enamel which I applied with a air bush. Does NOT come in a can. It aint cheap, more than a dollar an ounce and there is HAZMAT shipping involved.

good stuff but I'll buy Rustoleum from ACE hardware

yodar

lil e_D

Dec 14, 2019
Anyone know of a gasoline resistant paint for use on bike frames? That can be applyed at home without an oven, And without dying from 2 part epoxy fumes?
I've actually used nail polish colored and clear coat on my gas tank a couple times and it's held up better then any paint I've ever seen to gasoline. It's alot easier then many other options I've seen here and you can throw detail and designs in easy enough. I just used cheap stuff either on sale or asked a lot of female friends to donate their unused or old Nail polish you'll get alot that way. If you're not artistic get a cheap stencil or just put your initials on it. Hard for someone to steal it as well that way.

JerryAssburger

Mar 11, 2017
Salem Oregon
IF a person were to use the spray-can engine enamels, and IF a person's spouse was out of the house for long enough, *ahem*.... what is the time and temperature needed to cure it to a fuel-proof finish? Um.... asking for a friend.