Wanted: Behind seat gas tank

GoldenMotor.com

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
how much are these tanks let me know thanks tom
Thanks for your interest, Tom. I'm sending you a PM with a price quote for tank and shipping. It isn't that I'm trying to be secretive, but I'm expecting before too awfully long that I'll need to raise the price a bit to cover the cost of more harness leather. What I have is still left over from years back when I made horse tack for Lac LaCroix Indian ponies. It is going to run out this summer and I know the price of the tank will have to go up. So, I don't want anybody a year from now saying, "Yeah, but it says right there on the forum that it's ten bucks less! As it is, I don't make much money on these as they are time consuming to make, but I have more time than money, so...
SB

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Dan, Are You going with the heavy duty ones ? And Norm, got any photos, prices of the tanks?
Cheers
Chainmaker

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
SB, have ya considered making covers for existing tanks? Even the lil cheapo pea tanks would look good with a SB hand made cover.

Just had the mental image of a felt MP with a Rifle Scabbard & Saddle Bags. Be uber cool with a matching tank cover
I think trying to make harness leather covers for peanut tanks would be a nightmare. Something less thick and more supple like you would use for a seat cover would work, like black elk hide, but every peanut tank I used was leaky, so I don't think it would work out well. The cylinder tanks are enough to keep me busy. I am considering making & selling custom throttle and handlebar grips to replace the stock ones. Mine are a dense foam with elk hide hand stitched and are my answer to myself in a quest for handsome, comfortable grips which absorb vibration. I have some nerve damage in my hands from a lighting strike fifteen years ago and am trying to be nice to myself. Old guys need to take care of their hands. So there's that. I'm also thinking about a harness leather behind the seat tool box, but haven't made one yet and probably won't until snow hits the ground. The other thing I'm having fun with are copper jewel lights which will make a kind of debut with my current build, Firebird, Silverbear's Worksman Cruiser. I might make those for others, but don't know yet. Winter is a good time for fabricating things. When doing hand work it's good to vary things up some... do a gas tank and then do a light maybe. Tank after tank could get tiresome and I like to retain an interest and satisfaction in what I'm making. I used to make a lot of moccasins and handbags, mukluks and it can get old if that's all you're doing day after day. I also want to play with me bicycles, ya know. I'm not ready for responsible adulthood yet, so whenever I see a treadmill I try to go the other way. Ha!
SB

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Awesome Norm. Ordering a set of forks from you this week. Will your tanks come with mounting brackets?
Norm, got any photos, prices of the tanks?
Cheers
Chainmaker
As of now, I only have the mounting tabs on the tank worked out, (no brackets yet.)

Hopefully the tanks I designed will be ready in a week or so.... I'll post pics & info when they're ready.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
ChainMaker, was thinking the regular ones but would enjoy hearing your thoughts. I am a kind of sedate, calm rider but commute to the north end of Hartford. The land that time and street maintenance forgot, snork

SB, leather grips, there would be a line waiting for em! Even just an easy wrap around and lace up for the stock ones. Put me on the list if you do make some up.

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
I would go for the upgrade, I test fitted them before I sent them out and went for a pedal..that crownrace will make a huge difference there was some play going on.The welds need some spinach, The bottom cup started to wear an indent in the chromeish cover. Pat also changes out the washers,I think the bolts,enlarges the dropouts (too small), and aligns the fork ends I believe. Basically re-manufactures them.. He does what should have been done in the first place to a great looking set of shocks. I think anyone who gets a set of regular type will eventually say " I should have up-graded" I am glad Pat and Norm teamed up to do this. I cant wait for Mine to come back.
Silverbear.... A tool roll and like Dan said lace on Jackets for the grips.
Cheers
Chainmaker

Last edited:

ferball

Apr 8, 2010
NH
A vented cap is pretty easy to make if you are using a standard 3/4 garden hose cap for your gas cap. I use one on my home made PVC tank seems to work well.

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
A vented cap is pretty easy to make if you are using a standard 3/4 garden hose cap for your gas cap. I use one on my home made PVC tank seems to work well.
Ferball,
A vented cap would be good. How did you do that to yours and does it leak at all? Any pictures? On my builds the tank is closer to the back of the seat so I run the vent line up under it and it is pretty unobtrusive, but a vented non leaking cap would be better yet.
SB

Venice Motor Bikes

Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Here's a pic of my new stainless steel tanks (4" X 7")... I'm still working on a universal mounting bracket (that looks kewl!!)

PM me if anyones interested.

Venice Motor Bikes

Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
If anyones interested?, I won't have a final price for them until I design a good mounting bracket; but if anyone wants just the tank without a bracket? I'll sell one for $180.

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
So heres My Silverbear tank mounted and such..wasnt too happy with the look of the clear plastic hose. I have a bunch of Bright aluminum wire lying around so I spun a few feet of coil around a 19/64" mandrel and covered the hose with it. I think the tank looks at home there. I would highly recommend one of these tanks pretty affordable and nice looking to boot.
Cheers
[/IMG]

Last edited: