No more kits that leave you walking!

GoldenMotor.com

Drewd

Jul 25, 2008
Colorado
My last ride of the year was 7 days ago. I rode for 8 hours pretty much WOT most of the time and only shut off the engine to refuel and fix the only unreliable component of my build, the SBP shifter kit that requires a chain adjustment every 2 hours of use.

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
My last ride of the year was 7 days ago. I rode for 8 hours pretty much WOT most of the time and only shut off the engine to refuel and fix the only unreliable component of my build, the SBP shifter kit that requires a chain adjustment every 2 hours of use.
I've never heard that about the SBP shift kits. I've never used one because they're illegal in California. YEAH YEAH, I KNOW, A lot of guys in California use them, I'll explain why I don't. Almost any bicycle engine will get you to 30mph and thats plenty fast for a bicycle.(my bike hits 35mph.) Then, California DMV sec 406 says it must have an AUTOMATIC transmission. In other words, No shifting allowed. I really don't think the cops have caught on to this yet, but when they do it's gonna be over for SBP in California except for off road use.
Anyway, SOMETHING is slipping on your kit to loosen the chain like that. I'm sure someone will have a solution for that.
fatdaddy.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I ALWAYS replace the cheap junk chain that comes with the china kits and tack-weld the tensioner. I have no reliability issues at all riding over 100-150 miles a week.(knock on wood)

Last edited:

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
I ALWAYS replace the cheap junk chain that comes with the china kits and tack-weld the tensioner. I have no reliability issues at all riding over 100-150 miles a week.(knock on wood)
I don't think it's a chain problem maniac, If it was it would have snapped by now. I mean, every two hours? NO chain can stretch that much. Something else is going on there, but he didn't give enough info to be of any help. I'm sure he'll get back to us if he can't figure it out.
fatdaddy.