We use lots of sound deadening material for car audio purposes
Balistic, Dynamat, usw
Basic idea is to make the car panels heavier = less vibration
Peace

velardejose

Sep 9, 2008
Lima, Peru
Thinking about putting lead in the engine mounts to reduce engine vibration
I was looking at my engine mounting studs, and reading all the posts about damaged mounting studs here I got an idea
I will fix weight to the frame with clamps as close as possible to the engine mounts
I bought 2 lbs lead yesterday, hope to post my findings+pics later
Peace

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
This Is A Needed Thread, I Have Been Holding Off My Pointe Beach 7sp Sbp Shifter Build. Was Going To Pm Dax 5 Min Before I Saw This Thread. Again, This Is A Great Thread,

Last edited:

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Lead sheet goes between the frame and the engine, and between the "U" shaped clamp piece, and the frame.

I know there are folks who will point out that lead is not the most use friendly material in that it is "poisonous". Having said that, use glove when handling it, and especially if it has white dust/corrosion on it.

Got mine from the old style boot that goes around sewer/chimmney vents.

Cut four pieces and install them on each side of both tubes at the mounts.

Fit up the engine, slip each piece in place and tighten as usual.

thatsdax

Feb 22, 2008
www.thatsdax.com
One of the best ways to reduce vibration is to go to a 40T rear sprocket. This puts the motor on the sweet spot. Makes the ride super nice. Enjoy the ride...

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
Guys,

The lead will deform rapidly and thin out...the engine mount will then loosen. Tighten, loosen again...etc. until the lead is paper thin!

Use a high durometer rubber 120+

Isolating the engine frame-side "only" will be marginally effective. Look at how motorcycle/car engines are mounted to the frame.

Jim

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Thanks Jim. Makes sense. Discourse is a good thing.
Still going to try Joe's lead thought. Just from personal experience, solid is better then allowing vibration to magnify. Is all an experiment anyway.

Last edited:

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Just a note....I haven't had any loosening or other problems.....so far. At least 500 miles. The lead may thin, but when? 1000? 2000? 501?

I will watch it closely in the next couple of builds.

skinnydog1_2007

Mar 12, 2009
melbourne australia
dance1
Hi all this is my first post wanted to show you all my engine mount set up. I hated the vibration that was coming from the motor through the frame. So I made up my own engine mounts using a hard rubber compound. The rubber was the type you would find on heavy duty floor mats in a work shop to stop people from slipping over.They work really well and it has done a great job with stopping the vibration through the frame now I see just the motor vibrating and not me.

Attachments

ibcnya

Oct 29, 2008
Concord NC
For Starters, there is no such thing as an 80cc. As for vibration, I have never had vibration that was objectionable. My 2 choppers I built are border line. That is because of the low gearing. Which means this.. If you lower the size of your rear sprocket, and make sure your mounts are tight, you should be fine with vibrations. Also.. Wearing good gloves will also help. Enjoy the ride...
This is true about the smaller rear sprocket, with a 36T the 80cc I got from you vibrated a little during the break in period but vibration has ceased and isnt a problem at all now. Great engine, im loving it....