Motor spins the wrong way any tips?

GoldenMotor.com
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dxb105

Apr 9, 2012
Alberta
Ok so in my shop class i brought in the good old 21 speed and a little homelite weed eater 2 stroke. I am planning on mounting my motor over the back tire however i have a slight snag in my plan. While i have a clutch for it the motor spins the wrong way as in if i mounted it on the right to the preexisting chain it would drive the chain in reverse... i dont want that. My plan was to simply put it on the right side and drive it to the tire or the pedals. Driving it to the rear tire would make be the best option however i would have to mount it to to rim its self. If i mounted it to the pedals it would be very easy yo do the only problem being it would make them spin if i applied throttle. Any ideas on what to do instead or a link to a guide on how to handle this problem.

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
Ok so in my shop class i brought in the good old 21 speed and a little homelite weed eater 2 stroke. I am planning on mounting my motor over the back tire however i have a slight snag in my plan. While i have a clutch for it the motor spins the wrong way as in if i mounted it on the right to the preexisting chain it would drive the chain in reverse... i dont want that. My plan was to simply put it on the right side and drive it to the tire or the pedals. Driving it to the rear tire would make be the best option however i would have to mount it to to rim its self. If i mounted it to the pedals it would be very easy yo do the only problem being it would make them spin if i applied throttle. Any ideas on what to do instead or a link to a guide on how to handle this problem.
Best tip...get a engine that will run the direction you want. It is a lot of trouble to make that engine run backwards. It takes changing the timing which is not all easy to do. Yes it can be done, but why bother?

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008

Mount the engine on the left side, over the back tire.

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
To use a chain drive without a jackshaft or gear reduction, you will need a sprocket as big as the rim to get a useable drive ratio.. Your easy option would to use a roller and friction drive.

blazingoutcast

Mar 28, 2012
st. cloud mn
I agree mount it to the left but just get a 40-70 tooth sprocket or fabricate one n u should get somewhere in the ball park of power n speed like us with kit engines

Otherwise if u don't like that option u could friction drive it but if u do u have to mount it so u can raise and lower it with ease on the tire i recomend a pulley system for this using a door hing and rope for the cheap factor

Otherwise final but risky option mount it on the right side run it to the tire i don't recomend to the crank cuz then the peddles will be spinning wildly and unless u can keep ur legs going that fast ur gunna get hurt but then again that's what this otption is all about back to subject just mount it on the right and look back as ur going rofl no im just kidding instead of mounting it to the back tire put a 40-70 tooth sprocket on the front tire mount the engine on the right and it should work but then again if it runs in reverse ud have to flip the engine upside down or change it to the left i personally recommend a kit but not from gasbikes.net or kingsmotorbikes.com due to lack of customer support and not honoring there warranty basically the say if u pulled the engine out of the original shipping box u voided there warranty ain't that some **** lol well good luck hope i helped a little

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I agree mount it to the left but just get a 40-70 tooth sprocket or fabricate one n u should get somewhere in the ball park of power n speed like us with kit engines
Using a 40-70 tooth sprocket isn't even close....what drive sprocket should he use? 40 or 70 teeth are a huge difference, so that's just terrible advice.

Also, "turning the engine upside down"?!? that's just going to turn the engine upside down, not change the rotation...geeze.

blazingoutcast

Mar 28, 2012
st. cloud mn
Bike guy whenever anything spins one way flip it upside down causing the back to be in the front thus pushing instead of pulling and 40-70 means anywhere from 40 all the way up to 70 geeze doesn't anyone understand that a dish means through not or

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana

Otherwise if u don't like that option u could friction drive it but if u do u have to mount it so u can raise and lower it with ease on the tire i recomend a pulley system for this using a door hing and rope for the cheap factor

Otherwise final but risky option mount it on the right side run it to the tire i don't recomend to the crank cuz then the peddles will be spinning wildly and unless u can keep ur legs going that fast ur gunna get hurt but then again that's what this otption is all about back to subject just mount it on the right and look back as ur going rofl no im just kidding instead of mounting it to the back tire put a 40-70 tooth sprocket on the front tire mount the engine on the right and it should work but then again if it runs in reverse ud have to flip the engine upside down or change it to the left i personally recommend a kit but not from gasbikes.net or kingsmotorbikes.com due to lack of customer support and not honoring there warranty basically the say if u pulled the engine out of the original shipping box u voided there warranty ain't that some **** lol well good luck hope i helped a little
Even a 70 tooth would still be way too tall. With a 10 tooth on the motor that's about 7:1 ratio. That would equal 66 mph at 6000 rpm if the motor had the power to do it. The clutch would never complety engage until about 35mph and wouldn't last long. With a 40 tooth the top speed at 6000 would be 116 mph. The kit engines use a 40 to 70 tooth along with a 3:1 to 5:1 primary reduction first.
The sprocket in a direct drive application needs to be about the same size as the rim. Just do the math. Or look at how a friction drive is set up. Basicly the entire wheel is the sprocket on those.

Lotta people here do run the motor to the pedal sprocket, but they use a jsckshaft along with the engine reduction gearbox to get the right ratio and they use a freewheel sprocket on the pedal crank so that the pedals freewheel when the motor is driving the chain to the rear wheel.

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Bike guy whenever anything spins one way flip it upside down causing the back to be in the front thus pushing instead of pulling and 40-70 means anywhere from 40 all the way up to 70 geeze doesn't anyone understand that a dish means through not or
O.K., I didn't want to do this....but here goes.

If you turn an engine upside down, the crank still spins the same way. Try it.
Also, if your ratio is even close at 40 teeth, it will be so far off at 70 that it will not work, and vice versa.

Being that you didn't and still haven't given a drive sprocket size, you aren't even close to being in the parking lot, much less the ball park.

PLEASE stop giving advice when you have no idea what you are even talking about.

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Plus do you know that you never finished your sentence, or even made any sense?

Status
Not open for further replies.