GoldenMotor.com

burnt_toast

Dec 15, 2011
TX

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Re: Debating on which China girl to get

I'm looking to purchase a generic black color 2stroke motor kit and have narrowed down my choices to buy from the following:

http://www.bikeberry.com/jet-black-66cc-80cc-bicycle-engine-kit.html

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BLACK-68-5C...ltDomain_0&hash=item415e36ed1f#ht_6713wt_1097

Am I gonna be getting pretty much the same thing either way I go? Or is bikeberry any better quality wise?

Just another motor bike newb ready to jump into the water .bf.

While it may only serve to confuse more than help - it's been shown that the quality control of any/all of the Chinese in-frame kits is highly variable, regardless of vendor or "brand name" and even the advantage of a warranty becomes questionable when you consider the relative cost of a replacement part vs shipping and handling, wait times & even if a merchant will honor the warranty in the first place...

It seems to me that the quality of the kits has been slipping, "name brand" or otherwise (not that they were ever particularly great lol) and yet the prices asked by the larger retailers have been continuously rising. All of these kits are a roll of the dice and with that in mind - I would personally find the least expensive kit from any retailer regardless of promises, one that has at least some good reviews though (so you know you'll get your purchase) and if the engine proves defective, simply getting another engine - keeping the first for the replacement parts you'll eventually need as S&H alone both ways for a defective engine may well in itself be close to 1/2 the cost of just getting another "engine only" to replace it. This is especially true with individual components such as a scratched or dented tank, malfunctioning mag/CDI or whatever.

Please don't get me wrong, I do love these lil engines - but make no mistake, no matter who you get it from or how much you spend on it it will be poorly assembled and may have damaged or missing parts. It's best to consider the engine itself as a "kit" only loosely assembled and requiring you to give it a light once over, cleaning it up and assembling it properly - which really is easy given the simplicity of the design... with that in mind I should prolly mention most/all of the black engines suffer from a horrid paint job as they all seem to be hurriedly repainted silver ones, you might wish to get a silver one and paint it yourself *shrug*

Expecting quality, good customer service & honored warranties and a willingness to pay the extra required for such is most likely best reserved for the custom aftermarket parts you'll no doubt end up wanting ;)

Last edited:

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ

with that in mind I should prolly mention most/all of the black engines suffer from a horrid paint job as they all seem to be hurriedly repainted silver ones, you might wish to get a silver one and paint it yourself *shrug*
That's what I do, and if you have looked at my gallery I do a LOT of black motors.
Black PlastiKote high temp engine paint works dandy with 4 or 5 coats.
DO NOT use that Ace hardware high temp BBQ paint, the stuff is worse than a bad joke.

Remove the left cover plate, silver clutch standoff in the middle, the head, and intake manifold.
Take some new steel wool and give the whole motor a light rub to clean it up so the paint sticks.

Stuff some cotton balls or tissue in the intake and exhaust ports as well as the clutch cable stanfoff hole in the middle and coat the port and head studs and gasket seats with some grease.

To cover the cylinder hole I just put some making tape over the hole in a head gasket and place it on. Use it for painting the cylinder and the bottom of the head.

Anything you don't want painted on just rub a little grease on first.
When it's all painted and dry the paint on the grease just rubs right off ;-}

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast

tnx for the advice on the rattle can paint, KC.
I gotta spruce one up, right now...

Which BBQ paint DO you like? The frame I just got is flat blacked and I have no clue what the fellow used on it....

BTW, I couldn't get ur site to come up.
rc

kolomootro

May 24, 2011
ohio

i think people recommend getting an engine from a good seller,one that will give you parts if they are damaged or missing.im not really shure if any good sellers exist though lol.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ

tnx for the advice on the rattle can paint, KC.
I gotta spruce one up, right now...
Some bikes simply beg for a black motor ;-}
Which BBQ paint DO you like?
Only tried 2 and both sucked.
Most any auto supply store has black high temp motor paint, that's where I get it.
BTW, I couldn't get ur site to come up.
rc
Ya, it sucks, the whole network to my own server co-hosted in Norway has been down all morning.
I expect it will resolved shortly, but it is the middle of the night for them.

burnt_toast

Dec 15, 2011
TX

if i had my choice of china girls, i'll take this one:

the best one of all, I'll take this one! haha

thanks for the great tips guys, and I'll be on the lookout for silver motor, I like the idea of painting it myself.

robbomberbomyea

Dec 10, 2011
toledo oh

i bought the pk-80 silver, high temp paint comes in lots of colors and cheap.bought from pirate cycles for a few reasons,upgraded hardware was one,i have stripped the cheap screw heads on one from ebay. second fast shipping with good tracking info.third they have good customer service after the sell,worth the extra cost of the kit.