Sidecars?

GoldenMotor.com

dogcatcher

Nov 11, 2016
Texas
Thanks for a lot of information. I am retired, and now disabled and use a walker to get around. I came to this forum to try to find ideas for a sidecar for carrying a walker. Now I will have to digest this info and see what I can do with it.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Hello dogcatcher, and welcome to the forum. If there is anything I can help you with please let me know. I get around with a cane myself and for some time I had to use a walker as well. Major car accident at 22 and now replaced knees and a 2-1/2 year fight with a staph bone infection.
I'm retired as well and 73 years old.

It all seems daunting at first but it is fairly easy once you get the basics filed away. Let me know what you are planning and the budget you have to work with and I'll tell you what I learned as I built mine.

I hope some of the other builders get in on the conversation as well. I hope to start building another sidecar body and maybe a frame.in the New Year. If you look at the thread Indian Tadpole started by my friend Silverbear you will see what I am finishing up or at least trying to if winter weather gives me a break.

If you haven't gone to the top of the forum page and signed into the new member thread please do. This will give everyone a chance to say hello and know what you want to do. A lot of builders will see it and offer suggestions as well as help. Just mention your on the sidecar thread.

Steve.

dogcatcher

Nov 11, 2016
Texas
I tried a trailer, but I need the stability of a sidecar. Or 3 wheels on the ground.

Fast Eddy, if I have questions, I will ask. Not sure when I will even get around to playing with this idea.

FFV8

Oct 29, 2013
Spring Valley NV
Dogcatcher:

can you swing a leg over the saddle?

My little sidehack is a nice ride if you can:

Stable, stands on it's own. Corners & rides like a bike - running over a bump with the sidecar wheel does not toss the bike around.

I am going to sell it to make room for other toys.

Click on the pictures for full size view.

dogcatcher

Nov 11, 2016
Texas
FFV8 the pics won't show up. I can with work get my leg over the bike, takes a lot of effort, but I have done it a few times to ride my bike.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
There are several ways to skin a cat. Velosolex offers a step through frame, and can be fitted with a chair, or the engine can go on a pre existing trike.

Another option

Last edited:

dogcatcher

Nov 11, 2016
Texas
I found a commercially made sidecar in Europe. Pricey but it would be simple to make an equal or better version. http://www.scandinaviansidebike.com/sidecar-carbon.html
On the link are 3 pics.
1. the body that could be made from wood or poor man's fiberglass covered foam.
2. the frame, fender and wheel.
3. the mount that mounts to the bicycle, that the frame will attach to, a simple item to make.

Reactions: Tom from Rubicon

Oldbiscuit

Oct 3, 2020
An old thread I know but... I’ve been thinking about these for some time now. For my third build, I’ve been thinking of a 2 cycle bicycle designed to look like a 20’s era cycle with a removable right side side car. The difference for mine will be the side car will be self propelled (peddle powered by the passenger). I’m thinking that if I use a 20 “ rear wheel and crank set, the passenger can help bring the bike up to speed, so it isn’t all on the bicyclist.My thought was a open frame with a simple seat/backrest. What are your thoughts ?

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
That would work out so long as the passenger could pedal comfortably. I would think using a bottom bracket welded to a piece of tubing running front to back on the sidecar frame would work. Chain running from the front sprocket to a jack shaft sprocket that would in turn run to a sprocket on the end that would have a chain running to the sidecar wheel.

Probably use a 20" wheel on the sidecar so the jack shaft could get to the wheel easier than if it was a 26" wheel. Very doable I would think.

Steve.