POLL: Sea Foam?

GoldenMotor.com

Do you use Sea Foam in your gas-bike?

• Total voters

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Where cattle outnumber people 3 to 1.
Everyone has their own opinions on additives... and oil mix ratios- don't even start.

Here, I'd simply like to know if you do, or do not use Sea Foam in your gas-bike. Brief descriptions of your successes or failures are encouraged.

The $50 Cruiser loves it!
I have used Sea Foam faithfully in every non diesel engine I've owned since the first time I saw it used. I have never owned a diesel.
I have been pleased with the cleanliness of the carbs and engines that I have seen inside of.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I LOVE SeaFoam, but it's too expensive and hard to find here to use daily. I use it for fuel systems that have been left sitting and need a good cleaning.
Great product. Been a fan for decades

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
I use it for pretty much the same reasons, it's saved me from having to rebuild my sportster's carb a few times when I let the bike sit for a month or 2 without going out and starting it up or taking it around the block a few times.... what happens is the carb starts to get gummed if it sits for more than a few weeks if its not drained first. Most the time a little seafoam in the tank will clear it up and get it running good again within a few miles.
one of the few products other than gas and oil you'll find in my garage as I'm not exactly easy to sell on a lot of these " snake oils" they sell at the auto parts stores... sea foam is something that actually works.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
I haven't used seafoam in my m/b but have used it in motorcycles and outboard engines, it will clean varnish build up out of a carb. It should do the same for a ht. If someone is not that mechanically inclined to do repair or replace parts its a good insurance policy.

Slogger

Sep 8, 2014
nohio
Sea foam is great.
I've used it for years to stabilize gas over the winter, to clean up carbon in my Bronco's 351 windsor engine and anytime the injectors in the car need a cleaning. On the Bronco I pulled a vacuum line and while it was running, let it suck about a half a can into the intake.
The truck chugged out massive clouds of black smoke, it pumped soot for about ten minutes. Lotsa carbon built up in that old pig.
Good stuff.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Yup... Seafoam works great inside the oil pan too... I've used it to un stick a collapsed lifter before by adding about a pint of the stuff in with the engine oil then let it idle until the lifter tapping goes quiet and change the oil again.
Marvel Mystery oil can also do this but you can leave a small amount in there so it constantly cleans, about 8 ounces added to your oil at each oil change will keep your internals spotless clean. You can also add a quart of the stuff in with your gasoline (about a quart mixed in with 20 gallons) to clean and lube the fuel system's internal components.
Back to SeaFoam... This stuff is more effective than Marvel Mystery Oil but each one has their place as well as their strong and weak points... Sea Foam's only real weak point is that I wouldn't run it constantly in with the engine oil, but it's more effective as a flush or to quiet a noisy lifter etc. SeaFoam can be added to your fuel in small quantities to "maintain" a system or to stabilize the fuel, in larger quantities like spraying into the intake it's great for getting that carbon buildup out of the throttle body and idle speed controllers.
I use both products and keep at least a bottle or 3 in my shop at all times.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Sea foam is great for fuel systems but for a oil additive that you can leave in the engine I use rislone engine treatment. I had a Chevy astro with a lifter tapping, I changed the oil and added a qt of rislone and after only about 10 miles the lifter noise was gone, we drove that van another 5 years and never had another problem. I added it every other oil change.

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
After cleaning the oil out I put around 30 cc of Sea Foam in the crank case. After putting the oil plug back in I pull the start cord several times with the kill switch off. I let it set for around 30 minutes then pull the cord several more times. After another 30 minutes I clean out the Sea Foam and put my oil in.

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Where cattle outnumber people 3 to 1.
After cleaning the oil out I put around 30 cc of Sea Foam in the crank case. After putting the oil plug back in I pull the start cord several times with the kill switch off. I let it set for around 30 minutes then pull the cord several more times. After another 30 minutes I clean out the Sea Foam and put my oil in.
Good flush process.
Thanks.