the thing wont idle.

GoldenMotor.com

Qdot

Nov 11, 2008
Langley b.c canada
So ive got the chinese 80cc motor. Heres the skinny. It ran great for about a month and then it started not wanting to idle and then it wouldnt start at all. So i bought a better spark plug and cleaned the carb out. It starts up right away but will not idle at all and is even backfiring into the carb a bit and the carb keeps over flowing with gas. Could i have a vacuum leak or could my timing be out to lunch?:-||

toytime

Mar 20, 2008
Ontario
Have you got a fuel filter?
Did you screw around with the float level in the carb?
Has it backfired bad enough to break your "key" on the magneto/flywheel?
Is the sparkplug wire wet?
Is your kill switch wet and shorting out a bit?
I don't know. You are going to get to know your bike very well, I think.
Have fun!

Qdot

Nov 11, 2008
Langley b.c canada
i have no fuel filter.
I didnt know you could screw around with the float level.
I dont think it has backfired that bad. Just little pops.
Im not running a kill switch.

I think its just a carb problem but i dont know what problem that is.

toytime

Mar 20, 2008
Ontario
I think you got dirt in the carb and that is why it got worse and worse untill it would not run well or idle.
You carb is much like the float in your toilet tank. Have you ever adjusted your water level by bending the metal rod in your toilet tank?
When the carb is apart, the float should be level, I only mention this because I have the feelling you may have buggered it up when you had it apart.
Either way, I think you have to take it apart and have a look. Get a $4.00 inline fuel filter, it's one of the most important parts in your fuel system.

Qdot

Nov 11, 2008
Langley b.c canada
i let the carb sit apart in my parts washer over night and then i cleaned out the jet with a sewing needle and then i blew it out with an air compressor so i think its pretty clean but i dont see what i could have buggered up on it?

toytime

Mar 20, 2008
Ontario
You said gas was dripping out of your carb.
The float, inside the carb is not doing it's job. I don't think I'm wrong to say that the extra gas ,from a stuck or mis-adjusted float , is being sucked into your cylinder when it's running.
It's a problem that can be solved without spending any money and you really have nothing to lose, and don't forget to get a filter.

Qdot

Nov 11, 2008
Langley b.c canada
OH i think i know what the problem is. I think the floats needle seat is full of crap. That would explain why it was running like crap for no reason.

Qdot

Nov 11, 2008
Langley b.c canada
So i cleaned out the needle seat valve and its still doing the same thing. I even bent the float arms up a little and that didnt do anything either. But i did notice that when i hold the tickler thing down that it idles properly for some reason. Any ideas?:-||

toytime

Mar 20, 2008
Ontario
I wonder if you bent it the wrong way. The tickler just pushs down on the float to get a bit of extra gas in the bowl
When the carb is apart and you hold the part up in front of you, the float should sit level.

MB-Monkey

Nov 19, 2008
Manchester TN USA
while your at it may want to make sure the carb is seated on the intake as well as making sure the intake is not leaking at the motor. I say this in reference to the back fire issue. I know an air leak between the carb and motor will make a back fire.

My two cents.

Qdot

Nov 11, 2008
Langley b.c canada
I left the float out of the parts washer when i left the carb in there over night. But the Intake was loose at one time and i tightened it up but maybe the gasket is no good anymore.

MB-Monkey

Nov 19, 2008
Manchester TN USA
glad to be of service. I had an intake gasket issue as well. the back fires is was clued me in.

Ride like the cops are chasing you,
but make sure you stop if they do.