Certain type of derailer for a shift kit?

GoldenMotor.com

dumpstercrusher

May 20, 2013
Glen Burnie, Maryland
do you need to run a certain type of derailer for a shift kit? i heard of people havin their derailer rip off. Thinkin if i should go with a shift kit for a new build or get a lower rear sprocket. Have a 44t on my current bike so I was thinking of the 36t sprocket

Wild Bill

Jan 29, 2013
Camarillo So. Cal.
People that have the derailleur rip off are doing something very wrong.

Even a cheap one will work, its more about proper adjustment than anything else. I am running a Shimano XT on one bike and a Shimano STX on the other. I strongly recommend buying aluminum cogs w/bearings to put on them but it will work with the stock plastic ones.

It is very important that you fully understand the proper adjustment and maintenance of them. A well lubed and adjusted free moving cable is necessary for consistent shifting and if the chain jumps over first gear into the spokes it can and will ruin a wheel. One of my bikes is a KTM clone and it will even take that kind of horsepower with proper tuning and not shifting under power.

Last edited:

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
The above post says it well.
I might lean towards a newer model with better chain cogs if possible, but any should work if properly adjusted and aligned. Pay special attention to the limit screws since damage happens MUCH faster under motor power.
If you want the best, find one with actual ball bearings in the cogs. (Good luck. I've seen two in 40+ years riding)

dodge dude94

Jun 8, 2012
East Texas
I think one of the biggest things is learning how to ride it properly with the shift kit. I've heard of horror stories of guys grenading the rear cassette because they got on it too hard too quickly.