Any clean 2-strokes?

GoldenMotor.com

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Yes, buy one, break it in at 24:1 then go to 50:1 or even 100:1 with a good quality synthetic.

Spookytooth cycles took one to the EPA test center and it passed.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
For a two stroke to run "clean" it's mostly a matter of just running well, properly tuned and maintained w/o an excessive oil/fuel mix.

I've often said that a motor mildly built for performance (ie not NOS or hi-comp mods) will be more reliable not less and get greater efficiency as well. I can't help but think that work-arounds such as catalytic converters on two strokes were conceived by those with more an interest in appeasing the ignorant than any actual, functional first hand engine experience.

A poorly running engine pollutes far more than any performance motor contingent on only one variable - the operators restraint, not flying around at WOT all the time lol

Along those lines, 'Top Gear' did a very interesting (if admittedly biased) study of a BMW M3 against the much touted Prius, thought ya'll may find it interesting: YouTube - Prius More Environmentally Damaging Than BMW M3

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
A Z06 Vette gets 30+ MPG at 70 on the highway.

Just curious but why does someone in Oz care about EPA compliance?

Wonder if Grubee got their motors to pass EPA testing running @ 16:1? rotfl

Last edited:

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Yes, buy one, break it in at 24:1 then go to 50:1 or even 100:1 with a good quality synthetic.

Spookytooth cycles took one to the EPA test center and it passed.
I was wondering about the break in for the 100:1.... so its 24:1 for how long?, and any recs for a good oil??
Cheers

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i run 100:1 opti2 from day one. 4 motors on 4 bikes and haven't had a problem yet.

let's not turn this into another Opti2 thread, though.

BUT, as far as being "green," check out what their website has to say:Opti-2

"... the most environmentally friendly two-cycle mix oil available.
Opti-2's smoke reduction, and gasohol compatibility contribute to cleaner air, while up to 60% less oil is required, which helps conserve a precious non-renewable resource."

HybriDude

Apr 28, 2009
Hobart, Australia
Just curious but why does someone in Oz care about EPA compliance?
Good question Kev

Getting Motorised bikes on the road in Oz has been an interest of mine for several years.

I think that 2-strokes have a lot to offer because of light weight. The lighter the vehicle weight, the less power (pedal + motor) to push around. You would think that the environmentalists would jump at it, but the bogey they bring up is dirty 2-strokes.

Sure, 4-strokes are also MBs and they are substantially illegal in Oz as well. 4-stroke bikes tend to be heavier and less likely to be readily operable as a pedal cycle.

In my view, the holy grail MB is; fully operable as pedal cycle, 1.6 kW (2HP) motor, vehicle (bike + engine) weight less than 25 kg, 50 km/h (30mph) top speed under power.

At this stage, there is no bike-engine market potential in Oz until the road regulations are changed. So far as 2-strokes, I suspect that means clean strokes, although it would take 20+ years for dirty 2-strokes to ever be a problem in Oz.

KiM

May 5, 2010
Australia
Good question Kev

Getting Motorised bikes on the road in Oz has been an interest of mine for several years.

I think that 2-strokes have a lot to offer because of light weight. The lighter the vehicle weight, the less power (pedal + motor) to push around. You would think that the environmentalists would jump at it, but the bogey they bring up is dirty 2-strokes.

Sure, 4-strokes are also MBs and they are substantially illegal in Oz as well. 4-stroke bikes tend to be heavier and less likely to be readily operable as a pedal cycle.

In my view, the holy grail MB is; fully operable as pedal cycle, 1.6 kW (2HP) motor, vehicle (bike + engine) weight less than 25 kg, 50 km/h (30mph) top speed under power.

At this stage, there is no bike-engine market potential in Oz until the road regulations are changed. So far as 2-strokes, I suspect that means clean strokes, although it would take 20+ years for dirty 2-strokes to ever be a problem in Oz.
The bigger problem is the 200watt limit, unless you want to pay ~400 bucks for a detuned HT motor that supposedly is 200watt output your fresh out of luck for legal ICE mountable engines for bicyles regardless of the polution they spew out.

Look into an electric bicycle if you want a motorised bike in OZ and not want hassles from the law...Mine gets 50 kilometer per charge more than enough range IMO is near silent so doesn't attract unwanted attention from the law.

The 200watt law is also under review, looking to make it 250watt at rear wheel with no power AFTER bicycle exceeds 25km/hr and must be a pedelec i.e you must pedal for motor power
to be applied...upto 25km/hr...good luck getting a HT setup like that LoL..e-bikes
are available off the shelf that comply with these laws if you wish to stay 'legal' jm2c

KiM