Very New Newbie from Phoenix

GoldenMotor.com

TikiHead

May 9, 2010
Arizona
Hi everybody! I ran into Dick from Helmutt Cycles at a convenience store a few weeks. He wanted to know about my electric bike, and he introduced me to the idea of gas powered bicycles. Now I am hooked! Have not bought one yet, still researching. I would really like to drive my truck less, and do more with a bike. The e-bike is fine, but range is very limited -- and it's purely pedal assist, so that can get old over long distance..

Attachments

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Hello TikiHead Welcome to Motorbicycling.com, glad you joined us.

Helmutt is a cool dude and I have had the pleasure of meeting him several times.

TikiHead

May 9, 2010
Arizona
Hi KCvale, I actually found your site this week through Craigslist -- don't know why it didn't occur to me sooner to look there.

I really like the extra touches you add to your bikes, very nice (especially getting rid of the tensioner!) One question - would you consider building one for me with the 4 stroke Hua Sheng motor? What is your opinion vs Grubee 2 stroke? I like the idea of not having to remember oil at every fillup.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
We have talked in E-mail TiKi.
I would not be the best guy to build you a 4 stroker right now, I haven't done one and just starting a Jackshaft shifter kit bike build for the first time.

If you decide on an easy 2 stroke build I can sure help you though.

AZMotorbiker

May 20, 2010
Chandler, Arizona
Cool, another valley local! Greetings from Chandler! I have the 66cc Skyhawk motor similar to what KC has displayed on his site installed on an old Diamondback Wildwood.

It's quite a motor! The mileage I'm getting can't be beat. Right now it's well over 100 MPG, because I barely have to give it any throttle at all to go the legal limit of 20MPH. Adding the oil is no biggie either, just get yourself a 2 gallon gas can and mix it in right there. I spent about $5.00 filling up the can last weekend and still haven't used it all up yet. Still have almost a full gallon left. :D

You'll love it. I have an e-bike also (not quite like yours - mine's a cheapie little Aowa 48v) but the gas bike is faster, goes farther, more fun and alot cheaper to own and operate. My only complaint is (due to the model of bike and tubes I'm using) it beats me up a bit because I really FEEL every bump. But it's still a great way to get around.

-AZ

TikiHead

May 9, 2010
Arizona
Hey, AZMotorBiker, thanks for the welcome. I recommend a shock fork and a suspension seat post -- makes all the difference on my e-bike. I've got some neighbors here in Sunnyslope riding bikes with Skyhawk motors, and that's got me obsessed with switching over to gas power.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Hi other MB'ers in town.

My brand new just starting build is black 2009 Suede FX 3-speed, black GT5 66cc, and a SickBikes Jackshaft shift kit.
The bike has a front shocks and a seat shock, it should be a luxury ride ;-}

Anyway, you have some people in town to help you Tiki.

2dawgs

Feb 15, 2010
Gilbert, AZ
Welcome TikiHead,

I have tried both the 2 stroke & 4 stroke; love them both for different reasons.

If you need help building a 4 stroke; I will help you build one for free, if you supply the bike & engine.

If you go 4 stroke the HS 4G is the best deal and very reliable.

PM me if you are interested or just want some guidance choosing the best & economical build.

AZMotorbiker

May 20, 2010
Chandler, Arizona
Hey, AZMotorBiker, thanks for the welcome. I recommend a shock fork and a suspension seat post -- makes all the difference on my e-bike. I've got some neighbors here in Sunnyslope riding bikes with Skyhawk motors, and that's got me obsessed with switching over to gas power.
Yeah, as soon as I get more funds, I'll be investing in those. I had no idea how jacked up the bike lanes were out here until I started riding them at 20mph! :D

I gotta say, even with the rough ride, I'm lovin' this gas bike. I've ridden it every day since I got it.

Wife's on me to fix the e-bike for her so we can do some ridin' together, so that'll be next before any upgrades to my bike.

-AZ

TikiHead

May 9, 2010
Arizona
Sorry 2dawgs for not replying sooner. Very kind of you to offer help! I have been researching for the last couple months, and settled on the Staton Rack Mount Inside Drive gearbox with a Robin Subaru 33.5cc 4 stroke motor.

I bought a hard tail Mountain Bike off craigslist. I will be getting the engine kit early next week.

Here's a pic of the bike, and my rough photoshop conception of the install. I hope to rig an under rack fuel tank under the motor.

Attachments

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Hi everybody! I ran into Dick from Helmutt Cycles at a convenience store ..
I didn't even catch that first post Tiki.
I have known Dick for 3 decades, small world.
That is not an endorsement of him.
Just take everything he claims to own or run in that business with a whole full cup of salt and hold your nose ;-}

You did well with your build bud, nicely done.
Are you still putting any long riding time in during this brutal heat?
Personally I am looking forward to summer being over.

TikiHead

May 9, 2010
Arizona
I didn't even catch that first post Tiki.
I have known Dick for 3 decades, small world.
That is not an endorsement of him.
Just take everything he claims to own or run in that business with a whole full cup of salt and hold your nose ;-}
just from the one meeting, I'd say he's interesting alright. ;)

You did well with your build bud, nicely done.
Are you still putting any long riding time in during this brutal heat?
Personally I am looking forward to summer being over.
Just to make clear, that's second pic is Photoshop -- motor is still in transit. Can't wait to do this! I am not doing any long rides, but after the sun sets, I do toodle around Sunnyslope to run errands.

TikiHead

May 9, 2010
Arizona
I have been considering ways to make the bike more stealthy, and I had this idea for a pair of thin panels connected by threaded rods. Of course the graphics on the panels could be anything, but a mouse in a wheel seems fun.

Attachments