Gas or Electric?

GoldenMotor.com

mojoman288

Apr 26, 2010
Toledo, OH
Well, I wanted a gasbike, couldnt get one(Ohio's ridiculous laws) I was gonna get a scooter, no good deals yet, what about an electric bike? Which is better in terms of....

Long term expense
(reliabilty. cheap to operate,etc)

Purchase Price

General Convience
(Which would you rather have)

nolan_speed

May 31, 2010
Seattle, WA
My parents bought a pair of Bionix electric bikes and they work really well. I think that they pretty much got the top of the line kit and they better be for $1800 each in addition to the bike! They sense how hard you're pedaling and then give you a boost in relation to how hard you're pedaling with different levels of assist. I rode one for 30 miles in a really hilly area (downtown Seattle) and still had a bit of charge leftover. They have regenerative braking that charges the battery as you go downhill to extend the range and there is a throttle if you don't feel like pedaling.

I've heard a lot of bad thinks about some of the cheap Walmart type electric bikes, the batteries don't seem to last is the main complaint.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
I prefer gas, but I would get an electric kit to be street legal.
$300 will buy an electric kit with minimal power and range (and no customer service).
$1000 will buy an electric kit from a US based vendor with good speed and range.
It's a matter of how much you can spend.