9 tooth drive sprocket (or less?)

GoldenMotor.com

Bikewithamotor

Nov 18, 2009
Hope Valley
Hi Guys...little dilemma, you know how the sprockets that the engine kit comes with are a little slow with hills...(44 tooth rear sprocket, 10 tooth drive sprocket)

So....heres what I am wondering...

If I replace the 10 tooth drive sprocket for a 9 tooth,
how much easier could I go up hills?
would it make much of a difference?

Is it worth it to buy it?

Thanks loads

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I believe this question was asked and answered. It would be much easier to replace the rear sprocket with a larger one than to locate and replace the engine drive sprocket. Hill climbing ability is increased with a larger rear sprocket which are readily available from numerous sources. Standard sprockets supplied with most kits are in the 40 to 44 tooth range and are good general purpose sprockets. Moving up to a 48 to 54 will give you better hill climbing performance but will hurt your top end speed as well as allowing the engine to run at higher RPMs. You might find a smaller sprocket for the engine but it is not a standard size bore and might require some very expensive machine work to get it to fit and then you're restricted by reducing the tooth count(sprocket diameter) by only a couple of teeth which won't help you that much.
Tom

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
He May Think That Sprocket Fits The Motor! If He Had A Shift Kit He Would Use The Gears For Hills. That Sprocket Will Not Fit The Engine. It Is For The Jackshaft. Hope This Helps You. As The Guys Stated, Changing The Rear Sprocket Is Best. Imho. Ron

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
The 9 tooth is here:

Sick Bike Parts

Dont worry if it is a different size than your chain...it is just a little thinner so your chain will still fit on it just fine! :)
Sorry that is only for our Shift Kit or someone with a 5/8" shaft project. "This replaces the 10 tooth shift kit sprocket and is standard BMX chain width." and it will not fit on the engine.