diy Lighting System

GoldenMotor.com

karma1968

Oct 6, 2009
hamilton
looking over these motors there's not a lot of room to make a gen. but after a few failures
i may have something that will work. problem with using the white wire it shares the ground with the magnito. to much of a load and it effects the cdi. there are products on the market but im cheap so
here we go...

just to be sure i had the proper winds in the coal i unwound a magnito. took about two hours without damaging the wire.

the iron core is from a microwave fan. will be cut to fit coal slot with epoxy.

ill go into more detail if it works... as you can see in the pics it likely will ;) after i get another magnito lol

cheers

Attachments

Last edited:

Kerry Walper

Oct 22, 2009
british columbia
Very nice. That looks promising. I would like to see how it all turns out. I would be interested in trying to making one.

I am thinking of setting up a 'fairly' powerful headlight using some info from Scotchmo's posts. I took a 4 amp 6 volt battery out of an old 1,000,000 candlepower spotlight. I think the white wire will charge it well enough as I do most of my driving in the day. Plus it can be charged with an ac adapter. I just need to grab the diodes etc.
.wee.

karma1968

Oct 6, 2009
hamilton
wow i got 1.2volts... ok now on to the next idea heh.

how about a tool motor mounted under the motor with a vacuum belt?

it worth a try ;) if it works i will need to source out a aluminum pully

Attachments

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
wow i got 1.2volts... ok now on to the next idea heh.

how about a tool motor mounted under the motor with a vacuum belt?

it worth a try ;) if it works i will need to source out a aluminum pully
Tool motor? Like an older 12v DC cordless driver acting as a genset? I've given that some thought myself as we repair power tools where I work and so there's quite a few cordless tools kickin' around w/o battery packs. As just replacement batteries often cost as much as a new kit, tool included - that's not really a surprise.

I've a coupla concerns though, the biggest is I don't think the bearings can take the prolonged high speed use - not even the quality tools, but... mebbe? Gotta be better than the Walmart gennys right? Another is they're not even vaguely weather-resistant, but I suppose the most important is I dunno if they can be easily/conveniently brought up to speed.

The drill/drivers have a reduction gearbox of course, and this would help. It's "draggy" as heck... so I was thinkin' a sprocket drive somehow... there's another "mebbe" lol I'm not sure all tools would act as gensets when spun, some have very puzzling circuit boards and whatnot. I also had the thought that the 14.4s might be more appropriate for charging a 12v sys as you do need about 13v... but it's not like these come with a regulator and you might well succeed on getting more than 12v out of the older 12v tools if they're spun overspeed...

The 14.4s are a lil easier to find these days tho lol

I was thinkin' something like this as with the 90° head it has mounting options, couldn't be used as a tensioner as the bearings/shaft are in question to begin with... and ofc it's $150 new lol;

BOSCH Cordless Screwdriver Kit, Volts 12.0 VDC, Drill Speed 0 to 600 RPM, Max Torque 80 In-Lb, 90 Degree Articulating Head

So yeah - sorry about that, I didn't really provide any answers lol If ya do try this, I'll be watchin'

o.o

Last edited:

karma1968

Oct 6, 2009
hamilton
not sure about using a gearbox most tools use nylon or plastic gears. i have another motor that could take more
abuse. this ones 20v with a built in fan.

once i get the pulley system dialed in i wont be restricted to just one motor.

the one i have installed now gives me over 6volts just spinning it by hand should be interesting to see the max voltage at idol.zpt

ill post a video on youtube.

YouTube - karmabike1911's Channel

Attachments

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2009
waukegan IL. U.S.A.
hey check out "wonderful creations store" motorized bike stuff on ebay, they sell a mini gen. maybe a bar config. would work better?
what about mounting an old bike light gen under the motor case? seem's like the mounting could be used to tighten a belt drive? most of them are 6 volt systems. just an idea.

Salty Gator

Aug 3, 2009
Florida
looking over these motors there's not a lot of room to make a gen. but after a few failures
i may have something that will work. problem with using the white wire it shares the ground with the magnito. to much of a load and it effects the cdi. there are products on the market but im cheap so
here we go...

just to be sure i had the proper winds in the coal i unwound a magnito. took about two hours without damaging the wire.

the iron core is from a microwave fan. will be cut to fit coal slot with epoxy.

ill go into more detail if it works... as you can see in the pics it likely will ;) after i get another magnito lol

cheers
Karma.....if that works please let us know.....I'm sure many of us would use that scheme....

Thanks,
Salty.shft.

karma1968

Oct 6, 2009
hamilton
it worked but i only got 1.2volts. problem is you would need more than two magnet poles
with this setup.. or high rpms