Longer coil wires

GoldenMotor.com

Kevron99

Aug 11, 2009
Howell, New Jersey
I need an extra 5 inches for my coil wires. Will it damage the coil if I extend it sodering it together and use a Heat Shrink tubing as insulation. Has anyone have done this?

bseelbach

Jul 19, 2009
USA
For coil wires, are you referring to the 2 wires from CDI to engine or plug wire. You can use a 7mm auto plug wire if that needs to be longer. If you need to lengthen the CDI wires, you can splice in a wire. I used about 2' of lamp wire on my build and it is fine.
Here's pics. CDI is behind the seat post and the wire runs down the seat post, under the bottom bracket and back up to motor.
http://motorbicycling.com/f15/first-build-diamondback-outlook-10802.html

noco

Sep 9, 2009
fort collins colorado
ok are you talking about the primary wires or the seconday wire...the secondary(one that goes to the plug)is made of fiberglass...it has a high resistance but the voltage out of your coil pack is high...remember its gotta also jump a spark gap...the primary wires cannot have resistance to them...i don't care if you solder, buttconnect, or twist them together...as long as you have got good contact then this thing will run

stv1jzgte

Feb 11, 2009
australia
ok are you talking about the primary wires or the seconday wire...the secondary(one that goes to the plug)is made of fiberglass...it has a high resistance but the voltage out of your coil pack is high...remember its gotta also jump a spark gap...the primary wires cannot have resistance to them...i don't care if you solder, buttconnect, or twist them together...as long as you have got good contact then this thing will run
Not sure what you meen by primary and secondary wires.

There are 2 wires from the cdi solder them to the wires off the motor thats all

The sparkplug wire (Or cdi wire) does not have fibreglass in it

noco

Sep 9, 2009
fort collins colorado
the 2 from the motor are your primary ignition wires...dude just connect them in a waterproof fashion...the secondary ignition circuit is your plug wire and ground...that is how it is, i dont care what gas engine you work on...

stv1jzgte

Feb 11, 2009
australia
the 2 from the motor are your primary ignition wires...dude just connect them in a waterproof fashion...the secondary ignition circuit is your plug wire and ground...that is how it is, i dont care what gas engine you work on...
Dude i can see that you dont care but the origional question was about soldering the wires not wraping em in electrical tape.

noco

Sep 9, 2009
fort collins colorado
hey im sorry to offend you....didnt mean that.....ok your looking to extend the primary wires....dude when i have to solder(profesionally) i actually due it with a very small butaine torch...no soldering tip on it....its kinda a pen torch....dude its just a coil pack anyway....its cheap ****....go ahead and solder away and if your not stupid you will probably be fine....if not the part is cheap enough anyway...go at it!!!!

xlite

Jun 18, 2009
ny,ny
Yep solder em up
If you guys are talking about removing connectors and soldering wire directly that's ridiculous. If you mean solder wires to the stock connectors then maybe. Stock chinese connectors are fine and more than adequate if properly checked out. Out of dozens of engines only a couple required re-crimping and reshaping with needle nose. Never had one fail out of thousands of miles on the road.

stv1jzgte

Feb 11, 2009
australia
If you guys are talking about removing connectors and soldering wire directly that's ridiculous. If you mean solder wires to the stock connectors then maybe. Stock chinese connectors are fine and more than adequate if properly checked out. Out of dozens of engines only a couple required re-crimping and reshaping with needle nose. Never had one fail out of thousands of miles on the road.
I respect that you have fitted alot more of these motor kits than i eva will but the bike i got second hand those **** connectors had clearly gotten wet and turned green from the copper oxidizing.
When that motor died i did the same thing to my new 1
soldering the wires eliminates this and will not harm the cdi or the magneto and is alot cleaner finish

xlite

Jun 18, 2009
ny,ny
I respect that you have fitted alot more of these motor kits than i eva will but the bike i got second hand those **** connectors had clearly gotten wet and turned green from the copper oxidizing.
When that motor died i did the same thing to my new 1
soldering the wires eliminates this and will not harm the cdi or the magneto and is alot cleaner finish
Hoooo..Kaaayyyy... so you really do that?

If connectors are corroded they should be replaced with new ones. However soldering the entire ignition system together sounds... well... uhhh...

I carry spare CDI and magneto but rarely find a convenient place to plug in soldering iron out in the wilderness. :)

stv1jzgte

Feb 11, 2009
australia

If connectors are corroded they should be replaced with new ones. However soldering the entire ignition system together sounds... well... uhhh...

I carry spare CDI and magneto but rarely find a convenient place to plug in soldering iron out in the wilderness. :)
Ive said it 5 times others have to what part are you not gettin, so yeh i really do that! so do alot of people here and you still have not given a reason as to why its sooooo baaaad its 2 wires?

Plug in a soldering iron?? Gas bro!

connectors like them and the coloured one's are complete crap

I dont carry a spare anything let alone a cdi lmao In 9months (and i ride it every day 40km) i have never had a cdi problem magneto or any wiring problem. and i dont get stuck in the wilderness.
I guess this is just for me.

Last edited:

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Well, I guess I'm a freak too then lol cause I not only have connectors, I put a set on both ends to facilitate swapping out parts/harness, spucked em with w/e that goo is called to keep water out (common on marine applications, jus spacing the name atm), and covered em up with the 'ol heatshrink.

Came in handy when I thought I had an ign prob :D

But then o'course I've built a bunch of harnesses from scratch for applications far more complected than this, so mebbe its just a habit. I still plan on scavenging some proper connectors (box & pin) when I find a set I like/dead motorcycle w/e.

I'd hate to hafta cut the wires every time I wanted to tinker or change somethin' o_O

noco

Sep 9, 2009
fort collins colorado

wilderness??? spare cdi's??? what??? how many problems do you got....i made a weather pack connector for mine...ive done that on everybike ive done...i also put the wires in a loom... are you telling me that you need to change your coil pack often enough that you need to keep them quick release...maybe you should by your packs from a different supplier...and by the way the stock connectors are chinsy...