the law in GR,MI

GoldenMotor.com

metta

Mar 10, 2009
GR/MI
Well, as far as i'm concerned, i'm not going to hassle with getting inspections or license until push comes to shove. I know others have already checked with the secretary of state (michigan's dmv), but the laws are all ambiguous at best and are geared for the licensing and registration of motorcycles, mopeds and scooters, not motor assisted bicycles. I kept my bike fully functional as a 21 speed comfort bicycle. I hit the kill switch and my baby isn't even motor assisted, just a regular bike. As far as i'm concerned, i'm riding a motor assisted bicycle, not a motorized bicycle. Honestly, if something goes wrong with my bike, i can't take it to a moped or scooter dealership, i have to to take it to the bicycle shop.

Word on the street in GR, MI is that as long as you're not jack@ssing around, the local 50 can't be bothered. So, until enough morons ruin it for the rest of us, i'm just going to obey the local speed limits and regular road law.

I've ridden past a few grpd and even the county sheriff with no issues. I figure motor assisted bicycles.... memorize the term until it rolls off the tongue like your own name, won't become an issue until some kid gets run over or gets hurt in a self inflicted scrape.

Last edited:

metta

Mar 10, 2009
GR/MI
just read shawnmac's post common sense trumps all and agree with him completely. Speed isn't the issue here, we are riding bicycles, not mopeds or scooters. If some one gets pulled over for going to fast or jack@ssing around on an ebike which can reach speeds of 20 miles per hour without modifications, they don't get busted for riding a moped or scooter, they get busted for acting like a moron on a motor assisted bicycle. I also have a cycle endorsement and my opinions come not from trying to skirt the law, but from looking at the issue of motorcycles, mopeds and scooters verses assisted bicycles when it comes to registration and licensing. I have at one time or another owned and operated all 5. Bottom, line, respect and follow the law and be smart about the language you use.

Last edited:

metta

Mar 10, 2009
GR/MI
michigan law has a rule you may not be aware of. all bicycles must have a lamp that can be seen from 500 yards( sounds gruesome, but basicly flashlight strength) from 15 minutes before sunset to 15 minutes before sunrise. get yourself a light michigan mb's...
(p)

cabbiex5

Feb 12, 2009
Michigan
gotta love the mitten mbers. from dearborn here!!!!! MI law says gotta be registered as a moped. I called of SOS (MI dmv) and said "motor assisted" and they said it had to be registered because if ridden on the road it is a moped and no motored anything can go on the sidewalk.

metta

Mar 10, 2009
GR/MI
MI law says gotta be registered as a moped. I called of SOS (MI dmv) and said "motor assisted" and they said it had to be registered because if ridden on the road it is a moped and no motored anything can go on the sidewalk.
I respectfully disagree. Firstly, the sos doesn't have anything to do with titling, licensing or registering bicycles. If you call them up and ask them anything especially about a motorized something, they're automatically going to assume you have a moped or it's equivalent.

Repeat after me: Bicycle, Bicycle, Bicycle. not enough times... keep saying it until it sticks. Try calling the sos and ask them about licensing a non titled ebike. My guess is they will still tell you , you have to get it licensed and registered, even though you don't. that's the sos for you-

Ebikes aren't mopeds, neither are gas motorized bicycles which are still fully functional bicycles.

I have seen people riding those tiny little motorcycles and get pulled over. I have seen people who buy those freaky non legal mopeds and get pulled over. I have never seen any one on a bicycle(gas or electric assisted) ever get pulled over. Why? Because mopeds are mopeds and bicycles are bicycles. The cops know that and so does the sos.

P.S. Its unlawful to ride a bicycle on any pedestrian side walk in the state of michigan. Bicyclists are supposed to ride on the street. This law like many others is simply not enforced because so many people ignore it. While i'm sure many 50 would happily right as many tickets for this as possible, most would be ashamed to write a kid a ticket and know most judges wouldn't enforce the citation.

Last edited:

RPM

Jun 7, 2009
Michigan
Hi everyone,

I just recently joined the forum. Great site!

I was reading 'metta's' string and I have to agree with him. DON'T ROCK THE BOAT!

A bike is a bike is a bike is a bike! If it was met to be a goped, moped, scooter or motorcycle it would have been manufactured as that.

I walked into the DMV May 14, 2009 and asked them about motor assisted bicycles and what if anything is required of them to ride on the road. The reply from the lady was she doesn't know anything about them and handed me a piece of paper with a phone number on it and said "here, you can call them its a toll free number!" WOW! Thats good enough for me!

I don't go around telling cops how to do their jobs and I'm not going to start telling the receptionist at the DMV how to do hers. Those people are there for a reason and if they don't know what their job is they need to be replaced with a person that is representative of the position they were hired for in the first place.

Unfortunately the law on motor assisted bicycles is at the very least subjective in Michigan and vague. If a cop feels like pulling you over and jerking you around he will.

Where I live last fall the Governor passed a law allowing "Quads" to drive on the shoulder of the roads in certain counties as long as they met the states criteria. The township where I live never opted out so they are legal to drive on the shoulder of the side roads. But I know if I were riding my bike on the right of way allowable by law on the road they would pull me over in a blink of an eye. The cops are just that way where I live and are quick to show you they are judge and jury all at the same time whether they know the law or not.

I always carry the moped brochure with me whenever I go out for a ride just to be prepared for when they do pull me over.

Is it debatable and arguable? Absolutely!

The first paragraph in the "Riding A Moped Safely" brochure states: "If you are a moped operator, you must follow the same traffic rules as other motor vehicle operators. A MOPED is a two- or three-wheeled vehicle with a motor which has no more than 50cc piston displacement producing two brake horsepower or less. The moped must have a power drive system that does not require shifting gears and cannot have a top speed exceeding 30 mph on level surfaces."

Well, first off I'm not trying to convert my bicycle into a moped. That would opt me out. Second, my power drive system is linked with the power drive system of my motor and it is a three speed. That opts me out. Third, it cannot have a top speed of 30 mph on level surfaces. I'll loose five pounds and do 31 mph on level surfaces. That opts me out. And fourth, A MOPED as defined by the States definition is a two or three wheeled vehicle. Hmmmm...... I'm still work'in on it and it ain't quite right yet but I have some rather small training wheels I'm working on that I will be able to raise and lower at my discretion. FOUR WHEELS! For sure that will opt me out.

Until the time comes I'm prepared and I'm not going to worry about it.

WELCOME TO THE REVOLUTION!!

RPM

EliRush

Mar 30, 2013
Marietta, GA
I'm concerned about this, too...but I am just going to buy it, build it, ride it, and enjoy it. If they give me beef over it I will fight it until they start shaking me down for money. I'll carry a copy of some laws, and be sure to point out the displacement...

From what I can tell, nobody will care. Unless I act like a ****** on it.

RPM

Jun 7, 2009
Michigan
Hello EliRush and welcome to the forum.

Eli, I don't know what the law is in GA. But since my last post on this subject, it hasn't changed in Mi. that I know of.

I now know or have known for quite some time that the "ORV" ordinance pertains to certain boundaries in specific townships and counties here in Mi.

Thirteen miles from where I live is a City and you can't ride on the road because the "ORV" ordinance isn't in effect.

It is best to be prepared and research the state's definition of what they define a "Motor assisted bike" as.

The Fed acknowledges a "motor assisted" bike as "customized" and just that. However all the research that I have done also states that the "States" can choose this definition or adopt their own and create an ordinance for such.

Regardless of what anybody or State tells me, a bike is still a bike and has a "stamped" model # on it defining it as such regardless of what "ACCESSORIES" you put on it.

RPM

.trlrl.

oldpot

Jun 21, 2012
MICHIGAN
well this is what i being doing last 2 weeks here

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=46200

yes its frustrating to me but hope to find more out tomorrow had car broke down and been sorting that all weekend, only reason i want to get legal or not as you say , is all the stories about getting a ticket/ bike took off you /odd few jail for a few hours , just for $15 for 3 years and no hassle i understand its a assisted pedal bike not a moped but for a few dollars a year better than looking over shoulder all the time looking for cops.imo

EliRush

Mar 30, 2013
Marietta, GA
Yeah, I am thinking the electric motor might be the way to go, even though there is more upfront cost I could use it wherever I wanted and not have to worry about getting hit with pigs. I read RonB's posts and could not believe what they are putting him through...over a year of battle and still no resolution, just more delays and cost!

The system is surely broken.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
They can have my motor when they pry it from my cold, dead hands.
I have had no issues except being pulled over because the cop wanted to check out my ride.
I figure if I ever DO get pulled over by Rambo in fingerless gloves, I'll take the charge, go to court, demand a jury trial.
Don't imagine I'll ever get convicted.
Judge: "So the officer clocked you at 50 mph...?"
Me: "Yes your honor."
Judge: "On a bicycle..."
Me: "Yes your honor."
Judge: "Case dismissed. Baliff, take this officer downstairs and administer a drug test."

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Yeah, I am thinking the electric motor might be the way to go, even though there is more upfront cost I could use it wherever I wanted and not have to worry about getting hit with pigs. I read RonB's posts and could not believe what they are putting him through...over a year of battle and still no resolution, just more delays and cost!

The system is surely broken.
No, the system is working PERFECTLY.
After all, any bureaucracy is DESIGNED to make life more difficult and expensive...