Does anyone reconize this engine

GoldenMotor.com

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Are there any thoughts on the make of carb?

My friend Dave Boothroyd, incidentally, has written a book about 2 strokes, and I will quote him on reed valve 2 strokes, after I'd commented on the fact that deflector pistons were fitted to some engines which meanwhile had reed valves, adopted by bike manufacturers decades after outboard producers etc in America:

"A reed valve had been patented in 1906, but this was for use in a pulse jet- a forerunner of the Nazi V1 of the later WW2 years! As far as can be discovered, the first person to use a reed valve in a two-stroke engine was Rudolph Evinrude (son of the pioneer of outboard motor development, Ole Evinrude). This was produced in 1935, and it was, as you might expect, in an outboard motor. From then onwards,
reed valves became the standard arrangement for outboards, with the reed block mounted in the base of the crankcase. The normal arrangement is for an outboard powerhead is to have the crankshaft running vertically, thus the cylinders generally point backwards and the carburettors forwards. By the end of the 1940s, reed valves were also widely adopted for small industrial engines as used in chainsaws, generators etc."

RicksRides

Feb 22, 2012
osceola IN
Not a jacobsen. How ever I believe youve got and old larsen's either a mower or a boat motor I have one here. boat motors were usally white tho and it s a whole whoppin 1 horse power

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
Thank you for the input. Due to the short shaft, I believe that it must have had a gear drive attached, which wasn't with it when given to me.
The carb bowl is setup for the shaft to be horizontal. Perhaps it came off an old reel type mower.

Not a jacobsen. How ever I believe youve got and old larsen's either a mower or a boat motor I have one here. boat motors were usally white tho and it s a whole whoppin 1 horse power

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
I thank every one for thier effort. Think that I'll save this lil engine for a different MB build; as I doubt that it will have the HP needed for the build I'm worhing on now. This engine seems mor suited to a friction drive or a rear axle drive. I can see now that I am well into my winter MB build that it will require 4 or 5 Hp.
Thanks again everyone for the great effort.

Jim E(Russell)

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
Wondering if in the 1st post 4 picture, the air filter housing edge looks like numbers and or letters. Was that investigated?

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
The air cleaner is a pittsfield industries. This filter was used on many engines that used the tillotson md29a carb and others.

Wondering if in the 1st post 4 picture, the air filter housing edge looks like numbers and or letters. Was that investigated?

Flyman

Nov 28, 2014
Vian Oklahoma
Man I,m old & raced power products ah 58 & ah 81,s when I was a teen.That thing
looks more like a Clinton 049.The Clintons hade bushing rod bearing.All the PP
were needle bearing engine that I ever saw.If that is indeed ether.

Fly

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Numbers! We need numbers! From an email from an outboard collector:

"Regarding your mystery motor, I think the thread has identified all of the possible choices. Personally I think either Power Products/Lauson/Tecumseh or Clinton are the two most likely suspects. The # on the carb or the magneto may help if you have them: I have a listing of "where used" for Tillotson carbs and another for Wico magnetos. Granted these only go to about 1955 but you never know!

Sincerely,

Art S. (OJM Webmaster)"

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
I believe the carb is a tillotson 29a, I will pull the mag apart in the AM see if ther is any numbers.

Thanks again Jim
Numbers! We need numbers! From an email from an outboard collector:

"Regarding your mystery motor, I think the thread has identified all of the possible choices. Personally I think either Power Products/Lauson/Tecumseh or Clinton are the two most likely suspects. The # on the carb or the magneto may help if you have them: I have a listing of "where used" for Tillotson carbs and another for Wico magnetos. Granted these only go to about 1955 but you never know!

Sincerely,

Art S. (OJM Webmaster)"

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
Yes I did. Kind of interesting, the Tillotson carb was stamped MD 29B But the 29 had been over stamped with XX . The magnito is Wico Electric co. West Springfield Ma. There was no Model# or Serial # but thier was a SPEC.# FW 2176.

Russell, have you got the numbers yet?

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
I've widened the search. I have printed off the pictures and am running up to strangers in the street, asking them if they know what it is.

I've also asked on an FB Vintage Chainsaw page.

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
Please avoid asking strangers on the street that are wearing tinfoil caps, as interstellar shipping rate would be excessive.

THX
Jim

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
I've received this from Art, and it sort of narrows things down without being actually specific:

"I was finally able to get some time and go through my Tillotson and Wico stuff this weekend. Unfortunately the MD-29B number did not come up in what I have, and the Wico FW-2176 is just a standard spec # and not broken out by maker. My documentation tends to stop about 1955-56 so my best guess is that the mystery motor was made afterwards.

Sorry I can't be of more help, I'm still leaning towards Power Products or Clinton = someone who really knew small motors should be able to nail it. If it was an outboard motor, I know I could!"