couple of questions

GoldenMotor.com

Neph

Nov 7, 2012
Kansas
alright, so this is the second time I've posted here- the first time I had just got a "maybe" on a job and was trying to sort transportation on a tight budget. I was looking for something cheap and reliable, and members pointed me toward http://bumblebeebolton.com/ . now, I've got a full job, and my needs have changed- now it's just reliability I need XP

I'd like a chain engine kit, but from what I've read around the forums, a chinese engine is the last thing I want, and that's all I can find. so question 1) anyone know of any non-chinese engine kits? point me to a vendor?

I already have the bike I intend to put it on, and it's a beast- 29" rims. problem is, the brakes on it don't seem to be sufficient. I've already replaced them twice in a week, before giving up an just dealing with it- using my feet and such. obviously, this isn't going to work with an engine on it, so question 2) what kind of brake options are available? I heard of disc brakes being applied to bikes before, and that seems to be a preferable option. again, pointing to a vendor would be nice.

thanks in advance, motorized bicycle forums :3

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
If you've got a little more info on the bike ---- brand, model, picts would be great --- you'll get more specific answers.

My bike came without front brakes also. I added regular caliper brakes and used the predrilled hole in the forks. I threw away the cheap pads that came with the caliper went to the bike shop and got the best pads that would fit my caliper. Stopping is a lot better and also within my comfort zone.

I've got a Chinese kit, a Grubee Skyhawk. These seem to be of the best quality of this type of engine (unless you go with a Dax --- of which these are 'blueprinted of sorts').

Good luck with your build!

Last edited:

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
That bike would require quite a bit of effort to install disc brakes. You'd have to fab up caliper brackets on the forks and get your wheel relaced with spokes and a hub set up for a disc.

This kit would probably be the most reliable 4 stroke motor with a shift kit.......doesn't require the use of a chain on the left side and also it allows the use of your rear gears. Many members have also fabbed up their own version of this kit.

http://www.bicycle-engines.com/?utm_source=Forum&utm_medium=motorbicycling&utm_campaign=smallBanner

Good luck whichever direction you should take!

Scott.D.Lang

Jan 1, 2013
Chicago
first off I think that looks like a nice bike to start with. if you are a tinker like I am then a Dax 2 stroke would most likely be fine as long do the job of installing it right the first time. Most the Problems I've seen most people have ( notice I said most not all ) had to do with there installs not the motor or kit. all that said if you are traveling a fair distance say over 10 miles one way every day and don't like to tinker go with a 4 stroke it will cost a little more but things like being able to just stop at a station and fill up will be nice.

as far as brakes first make sure there adjusted right then if it still don't feel good enough go to a bike store or search online and get the best you can find. if you are having to use your feet to stop it sounds like you need to adjust them first.

Will122391

May 31, 2013
Texas
Anything not chinese is not worth building because it'll cost as much as a real moped ($600+). That being said, it is possible to run a reliable chinese kit (assuming you have a decent bike) for under $200. It might take a month before you get the kinks in your build out, but after that the engines shouldn't have any problems for a good while. Even if you blow one, you can replace the entire engine for $80 and use your old parts. Everything other than the engine costs about $20 tops to replace. The main thing would be distance you need to travel because of wear and tear.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I recently sold my personal bike (The Pig)with over 10k miles on a stock china girl with a pipe installed on a POS Next bike. That thing was ugly, cheap and as basic as it gets, and I loved that POS ^%#&^(bike! The only reason I sold it was because I finally found my favorite frame.
The china ht's can be extremely reliable if you take your time and don't expect to go flying around with traffic. Mine has never once left me stranded due to engine failure.
(Flats are a different story.)

Neph

Nov 7, 2012
Kansas
hmm... I'm looking on spooky tooth cycles, and they have, essentially, two kits- 2 and 4 stroke, both HuaSheng flying horse models. would it be possible to start off with the 2-stroke, then, in case of failure, get the 4-stroke engine and use the same parts that mounted the old 2-stroke?

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
four strokes are completely different as far as mounting and the two-strokes do not fit four stroke mounts without custom work.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
hmm... I'm looking on spooky tooth cycles, and they have, essentially, two kits- 2 and 4 stroke, both HuaSheng flying horse models. would it be possible to start off with the 2-stroke, then, in case of failure, get the 4-stroke engine and use the same parts that mounted the old 2-stroke?
Sorry, but your 2 to 4 stroke upgrading idea won't work for many reasons.

The 4 stroke kit from Bicycle-Engines.com has the Much better Grubee 4G
gearbox than the chain drive pocket bike boxes used with the Spooky
tooth or BikeBerry kits and is only $30 more.

the Spooky tooth or BikeBerry so called "5G" gearbox has no relation to
a Grubee 4G T tooth belt gearbox.

There is no such thing as a Huasheng flying horse kit.
Spooky tooth and BikeBerry are the same company based out of Brea, CA.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Howdy Neph.

Just curious, your brake pads wore out 2ce in a week? I am thinking it really must be an adjustment issue. Like Scott said.

Just a thought, but what ever kit you decide on and when your just getting into this. I would suggest using one that if you had to, be able to disengage the engine (remove the drive chain) and pedal to work. With a ChinaGirl, 2 stroke kit just remove the engine drive chain and put it in a plastic bag you have in your tool bag. 4 strokes are wider normally and you do not want to pedal one for long. (LOL, don't ask me how I know)
That and carry most every tool you need to build a motorized bicycle.

I say this from personal experience. No matter what engine/drive train/kit/DIY motorized bicycle I have rode and loved. If for some reason I needed to depend on it to absolutely, no matter what be some where at an exact time. Something, somehow and some where went wrong.

I in no way mean to dissuade you. But just starting out and building a motorized bicycle might not be a first choice, best option to commute.

The "cheap and reliable" thing is most often a contradiction in terms.

Just my 2 cents and due to inflation, might be less.

Last edited: