99 Predator weeping oil fix

GoldenMotor.com

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Like many of you I removed the governor control linkage when I installed the Predator engine on my bike. From day one it wept oil from the base of the control where it goes in to the engine.

Some one said they had the same thing and that in time it sealed up and there was no more weeping. Mine got worse, so bad that I had to wipe it up after every ride and it was getting the whole engine oily.

The last thing I wanted to do was pull that engine and take it apart to remove the internal portion of the governor control and then seal up the hole.

Instead I cleaned up the area in question with a rag and then carb cleaner, mixed up a bit of JB Weld epoxy and with a small amount spread it over the base of the control where it goes into the engine. When that had set up I spread on more from above on the governor 'post'. Then a third time more liberally so that it covered the whole area well.

No more leaks after a hundred miles or so.

I applied my first coat with the engine cold and would suggest further being sure the JB Weld has not been sitting out in the sun and is warm. Let it be cool, too, so that it is less a liquid. Too thin and maybe it could get into the engine. Thicker (colder) it certainly won't do that. Maybe even put it in the refrigerator for awhile before you mix it. Once the first coat is set up you can apply as much as you want.
SB

Attachments

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Hey Bill,
Good idea. I might regret the epoxy someday, but I can't imagine why I would want to get to the stub of the governor control. My little epoxy cone isn't pretty.but looks way better than a puddle of oil. I had a 79cc Greyhound that leaked, too.
SB

jbcruisin

Oct 10, 2008
Lebanon, Pa.
I just put an o ring under that cotter pin (or what ever it's called) & mine stopped. So it must not be under pressure or it would have pushed out because I couldn't fit a flat washer under the pin.

Last edited:

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
jay,
I thought about doing that and imagined somehow my letting a part slip down into the engine while fitting the O ring. Kind of a dumb concern if done with care. Your's is the cleanest solution, but we all stopped the leak!

Yes, it must not be under any pressure. I could have used a much smaller amount of JB weld no doubt. A clear silicone sealer would also work I imagine.
SB

klb6154

Jun 20, 2010
pittsburgh pa
Question for ya. Hows the preddy holdin up w just the gov linkage removed? I'm planning on doin the same to my nxt build and I've heard it can cause probs.but I have no intention of compleetly dissasembleing a brand new motor. I probly wont be rving to the moon often because my riding style involves more puttputting. But if I decide to strech its legs is it likely to grenade?

professor

Oct 14, 2009
Buffalo ny area
It is not a predator, but my 79cc HF has had the gov linkage disconnected externally and has been fine. At the time, I didn't think of removing the internals. I am guessing revs to 5000.

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
Question for ya. Hows the preddy holdin up w just the gov linkage removed? I'm planning on doin the same to my nxt build and I've heard it can cause probs.but I have no intention of compleetly dissasembleing a brand new motor. I probly wont be rving to the moon often because my riding style involves more puttputting. But if I decide to strech its legs is it likely to grenade?
I run mine up to 5800 rpms sometimes. All the internals are in there. I can and do cruise at 4500 for long periods. This seems to be a sweet spot for both my Preddy 99's Ifast cruise at 5000 sometimes. No probs yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jk_RyiyI6L4