disc brakes. what size to use 4 beach cruiser

GoldenMotor.com

happyjourney

Mar 13, 2011
Key West FL
I been reading alot about different peoples disc brake setups and want to put one on my schwinn beach cruiser. i know i probably need to get some mounts from venice or chaingang or maybe a spacer from kings sales and service or i could go with the 2b therapy maybe but i'm not sure if my sprocket will fit in there with all one of those setups. I really want to know what size disc i should get though. perhaps a smaller one would be more likely to fit? does the avid bb7 need any thing else besides the braking mechanism and the rotor as well as the mounting clips? i'm scared to buy a setup and then it not fit. .bf.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Are you asking about the front or rear or both.
The Avid BB-7 is about the best brake available and will increase your stopping power dramatically even if just on the front. The caliper will require a mount and you'll need rims/hubs made for disc brakes.

I've installed disc brakes on the front of my cruisers but I have a welder so making the caliper bracket was easy. There are bolt on adapters available but I've never used them.
On the rear wheel I found with my 41T sprockets that there wasn't enough room outboard of the chain to get a caliper to fit. It might be okay if you're running a 36T sprocket but I have no need for them.
Just my experience.
Wait and see what Venice Motorbikes has to offer/say.
Tom

Attachments

magrider

Aug 24, 2010
OrangeCounty, CA
I run a 203mm rotor on the front and rear, avid BB7 caliper on the front and a hayes m3 on the rear. I welded a mount on the forks for the front, and welded a mount on the frame for the rear. On the rear I use the Kings top hat adapter and the set up works perfectly.

I will add that my frame originally had the forward type dropouts and it was a pain to take the rear wheel off and on. basically I had to take the brake assembly apart every time and then set it back up with spacers washers etc. The frame now has been modified with rear facing horizontal dropouts, like a BMX or track frame, and it took 30 minutes off the rear wheel change.

I also run a smaller sprocket for the clearence something like a 39t.
also my rear hub has a 110mm spacing, what you will need.

all this is posted on my '1st build in Orange County' in the Rat Rod section, check it out for pics

magrider

Last edited:

happyjourney

Mar 13, 2011
Key West FL
you say i'm going to need 110mm spacing, is that the measurement between my back forks? i ordered my rims from here Custom Motored Bicycles - WHEELS HEAVY DUTY 26"INCH  12 G 12 Gauge Spokes,BICYCLE BRAKES,
i ordered the 26inch X 2.125 freewheel rims. it says the rear axle is 170mm long so that should give me necessary room. i ordered the 1/4 inch top hat sprocket adapter plate. i'm not sure if i should have gotten the 1/8 inch but you live and you learn. that rat rod is crazy. i'd have to cut a hole in the seat and hang my balls out it so they didn't get crushed if i rode that. looks badass though. no wonder you live in orange county. your building those orange county choppers.

magrider

Aug 24, 2010
OrangeCounty, CA
yeah, the 110 spacing is the space between the rear dropouts, which is most beach cruisers and BMX frames, Mountain bikes and Road bikes usually have 135mm spacing. thanx for the comps, that seat is gone, I couldn't bring myself to cutting a whole in a Brooks saddle.