How can I stop flat tires?

GoldenMotor.com

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
After starting this thread back in march, I lined the tire with an old inner tube that I cut open. Since then I haven't had another flat, so I assume adding the extra tube is pretty effective.
Thats what I have been doing for years and with thousands of mile I have had less then a handful of flats. I use the entire tube though, I just cut out the valve stem.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Not very light but roll very well indeed... Shawalbe tires. ($40 to $90)
They are not inexpensive but have a considerable, near flat free, service life.
Liners and Slime tubes add weight, expense and increase roll resistance.

I have no connection to them.
32 ounces 14 dollars
*NEW* Slime Tube sealant for tires with tubes 32 Ounces on eBay!
2.5mm or thicker tube 11 dollars
Kenda Downhill Tube 26 x 2.4-2.75 | BicycleBuys.com | Search Result

I run bigger tires on all my bikes and I peddled for years without a problem. Now with a motor involved who cares about weight. I mean I never cared. Never bothered me in the slightest. If to say they weigh more then perhaps they simply help remove the chatter and over all beating of the road from my riding habits.

A tire like you are saying has its own built in tire liner. I don't use tire liners. Yet after I use a real tube and not some paper thin one it prolly is a tiny bit like a tire liner a little. As for tires I have no use for a lance armstrong type road bike here. I never will they just are too fragile all around.

Ever wounder why the folks on these bikes are in the road in the way of traffic? Everything will make those tires go flat and warp their wheels too. Just one nice bump. They are desperate for a clean stretch of pavement. All I ever used was a generic set mountain bike type cross road/offroad type tire from the likes of Walmart.

The local bike shop here has the slime by the 5 gallon bucket they have two on hand all the time. Yet that is just how rough our terrain is here makes it kinda mandatory.

I passed a roadie by this morning he was on the side walk fixing a flat. Poor guy he looked a little upset too. I never see a mountain bike set up getting overhauled at the curb. I cannot remember the last time I ever did? Those are the bikes I still peddle today! I love'em. Nothing ever goes wrong. Mine are set up with road touring gearing too!

With this cheap recipe I can ride in the gutter like a pro!

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Thats what I have been doing for years and with thousands of mile I have had less then a handful of flats. I use the entire tube though, I just cut out the valve stem.
What I do is cut off the valve stem, and cut the tube open around the inside circumference. Then I put the new tube inside it.

I'm getting a lot more confidence the longer I go without a flat.