High speed tires

GoldenMotor.com

Kartooo

Nov 18, 2016
MA
i beleive a shift kit with a motor that has been cleaned up inside adjusted port timming a tuned expansion chamber maybe a higher compression head and a better carb can acheive fort five
and of course a bike and tires worthy of such speed
i would never go that fast with out a helmet
+1
or good enough brakes to stop the dam thing !!

mat_man

Jan 29, 2011
athens ga
Scotto has 2 lbs CST Cyclops Tires (24" x 2.4") on his 20hp 212cc racer.

A 22" x 2.5" moped tire has weight of 4.6 lbs (IRC NR2 2.50-18), Rated for about 70 mph.

Much of the added weight is in the sidewalls.

Feb 2, 2017
California
You guys are too paranoid with bicycle tires, unless you're going over 100 MPH...... I don't think you should be fearful of tires exploding on you. With that said, most people couldn't care less about tires which is kinda like how Fast n' Furious kids think, and all they focus on is more SPEED SPEED SPEED like a junkie with no self-control. Oh, they don't care about brakes either..... it's all about that new Speed Carb and banana pipe, YO! Their way of thinking is, if I'm not spending money on more speed, then I'm not spending money right. You know them types.

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
Scotto has 2 lbs CST Cyclops Tires (24" x 2.4") on his 20hp 212cc racer.

A 22" x 2.5" moped tire has weight of 4.6 lbs (IRC NR2 2.50-18), Rated for about 70 mph.

Much of the added weight is in the sidewalls.
That's good info thanks. I run the CST Cyclops as well only in 26x2.4. But they do seem to wear fast, only got about 500 miles on them and it's showing. Not bad for $14 a piece though and I take em up to about 55mph.

Also they have good traction in the wet definitely better than the assortment of other cheap tires.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2017
California
That's good info thanks. I run the CST Cyclops as well only in 26x2.4. But they do seem to wear fast, only got about 500 miles on them and it's showing. Not bad for $14 a piece though and I take em up to about 55mph.

Also they have good traction in the wet definitely better than the assortment of other cheap tires.
That's pretty damn fast, are you just throwing up numbers?

mat_man

Jan 29, 2011
athens ga
This is Scotto's 12hp, CVT, over 60mph:

212cc Predator Ride......terrorizing the neighborhood (in California)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2aFd3x7Vms

At 11:44, you can see his speedometer is just a hair under 50 mph.

The worse case would be the piece of steel that would shred your tire.
A stronger heavier moped tire would give more time before you are riding on the rim.

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
That's pretty damn fast, are you just throwing up numbers?
No. see my sig 212 2-speed. Floating valves at 5k and 7:1, could change one sprocket and make it a 6.4:1 and hit 60 at 5k, but there's no place to ride that fast; all the expressway speed limits around here are 45-50.

I run the very heavy thorn resistant tubes and haven't had a problem yet. Never had a front blow out on me.

Here's the rear. Yep about 600mi and no burnouts... when I was still doing burnouts I'd get about 3-4 burns per tire before it wore out LOL.

Attachments

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2017
California
No. see my sig 212 2-speed. Floating valves at 5k and 7:1, could change one sprocket and make it a 6.4:1 and hit 60 at 5k, but there's no place to ride that fast; all the expressway speed limits around here are 45-50.

I run the very heavy thorn resistant tubes and haven't had a problem yet. Never had a front blow out on me.

Here's the rear. Yep about 600mi and no burnouts... when I was still doing burnouts I'd get about 3-4 burns per tire before it wore out LOL.
How much do thorn resistant tubes go for? And where did you buy them, I can't seem to find them at stores like Walmart or Target, etc. I was thinking about getting some of those inner tube lining protector.... what's your opinion on it?

BTW, your bicycle hitting 60 mph doesn't count because it's not a motorized bicycle..... you can't pedal it! See, to me I don't understand why people would put a motor on it and lose pedals, that's like ruining the whole point of motorized bicycle. I mean if you wanted to do that, mind as well just get one of those small mini bikes!

Last edited:

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
My pedal chain turns the jackshaft. But I haven't pedaled the bike anywhere for a long, long time. Only stuff like flea markets and such, but even then I don't because it gets way too much attention and I don't get any "me" time.

In CA a bike like this can fall under the MB law easily which is much more lenient when it comes to basic violations than with a car or motorcycle.

Tubes you can find on amazon think they were $7 each.