Device to prevent car/bicycle crash

GoldenMotor.com

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Device could prevent crashes between cars and bikes
By J.D. Wallace

"What we came up with is a device to warn the driver of a cyclist along the roadway," said Laura Stanley, Ph.D., a Human Factors engineer at Montana State University in Bozeman.

The device is mounted on a vehicle's dashboard. It uses a GPS transmitter and receiver to communicate with a similar device mounted on a bike. Signals are sent to a satellite, to the bike, and back to the car, telling the driver of the car where the cyclist is.

Read more... Device could prevent crashes between cars and bikes - KOLD News 13

Attachments

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
As sad as that story really is... is it just me or is this particularly ironic?

Researchers are now working on a warning system for a cell phone application for bikers and vehicle drivers.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
cool. i was worried about those deaf and blind drivers. but now i feel much safer.

seriously, when will it stop?

there's that commercial for that mercedes or bmw, where all the people are " my child was in the backseat, and i didn't even know i was crossing into the next lane.." and "i was drowsy and didn't see the truck stopping in front of me..."

if i made that car, the ad would say, " the new mercedes. for people who suck at driving."

i'm gonna buy me an old corvair.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
The more people rely on technology instead of what they were born with, the stupider they get. (is stupider a word?) Okay, 'the more stupid they get'. Anyway, we're born with eyes, ears and common sense. If you see something in your path...don't run into it. And with normal human eyesight and an attentive driver, there is no excuse for an automobile to run into a bike or visa-versa. Toss in a few electronics, cell phones, proximity sensors and satellites and you pave the way for people to feel a false sense of security. "I don't need to watch where I'm going. Technology is taking care of me" Yeah, just like OSHA does in the workplace.
Tom

reb1

Aug 15, 2010
CALIFORNIA
The law already allows people to get away with killing with there automobiles by simply saying I did not see them or The sun was in my eye or they weaved in front of me. Now we are going to hear the excuse that my car didn't tell me in time. One of the simpler solutions that will reduce fatalities is to enforce speed limits and reduce others in areas that have allot of bicycle pedestrian traffic. I just saw a New York tv commercial that states if you hit a pedestrian at 40mph there is a 70% chance you will kill them. It also stated that if you hit a pedestrian at 30mph there is a 80% chance they will live. We need less instead of more electronics. We need to care about each other enough that we make it our personal responsibility to drive at a safe speed.YouTube - nycdot's Channel

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Just a thought. The high tech stuff should not be used or thought of as the replacement for any thing but rather an aide. On ships when "SatNav" (satellite navigation and now GPS) Came about we were warned not to think of it as any thing more then an aide to navigation. Ideally when fixing your position, you would want 3 points of reference. Where you think you are, where a land based object is and a bouy or the like. (you could be wrong. You may not be looking at what you think you are and bouys move) An old farmer or mariner can tell you what the weather is gonna be like the next 2 days with amazing accuracy. The highly trained and well armed with high tech meteorologist can warn you about a low pressure system making up off the coast of Africa and how it could hit your farm in 14 days. My thinking is there is no magic bullets for this sort of thing. That it is prudent to use any and every thing possible. I want a back up cam for my truck but will still check the rear-view mirror and look over my shoulder. Getting old is fun. You have less time but seem to use it more carefully.

Just thunking out loud.

Black_Moons

Oct 25, 2010
Canada, Bc
A collision warning from 20 seconds away? lol! 'BEEP BEEP BEEP COLLISION WARNING' 'wait what? I don't see anything.. hu.... nope.. nothing in my mirrors.. nothing ahead.. maybe if I fiddle with my GPS enough I can disable that from comming on every time a cyclist gets within a mile of me... Hmmm..... click click click THUD what was that.. oh well nevermind click click click"

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Again: this hearkens back to the guy I saw talking on his cell phone, eating a breakfast sandwich of some kind, watching The Matrix on a dash-mounted DVD player, with a GPS up and running above the rear view mirror, all while driving in downtown traffic.

If a warning went off about a nearby cyclist, how would this guy figure out in time what all that beeping was about. Better trained/educated drivers are what we need here, and I think that would be the only real solution.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Just a thought. The high tech stuff should not be used or thought of as the replacement for any thing but rather an aide. On ships when "SatNav" (satellite navigation and now GPS) Came about we were warned not to think of it as any thing more then an aide to navigation. Ideally when fixing your position, you would want 3 points of reference. Where you think you are, where a land based object is and a bouy or the like. (you could be wrong. You may not be looking at what you think you are and bouys move) An old farmer or mariner can tell you what the weather is gonna be like the next 2 days with amazing accuracy. The highly trained and well armed with high tech meteorologist can warn you about a low pressure system making up off the coast of Africa and how it could hit your farm in 14 days. My thinking is there is no magic bullets for this sort of thing. That it is prudent to use any and every thing possible. I want a back up cam for my truck but will still check the rear-view mirror and look over my shoulder. Getting old is fun. You have less time but seem to use it more carefully.

Just thunking out loud.
Ya know how old school I am? I never got around to buying a GPS. But I do own a calibrated sextant. It's problematic using it in the car, I would have to pull over. But hey, no batteries, no annoying female voice giving me turn-by-turn directions onto a one way street - the wrong way, and it works pretty darn well just about anywhere in the northern hemisphere. ("Says he owns a sextant." if anyone doesn't believe me, I may have to post a pic. I'm a geek, remember, all things are possible.)