anyone do any trail riding?

GoldenMotor.com

stpwellington

Jul 31, 2009
chicago
i plan on going to some decent mountain bike trails soon. nothin too crazy tho i am in chicago. anyone wanna share their feelings on the subject? any good or bad experiences? i havent seen or heard of much of it being done with a motorized mountain bike

toad772

Jul 12, 2009
canada
I did it with a motorized road bike but I ran into a bush.(I hope gene doesn't see this he has issues with the word bush)

stpwellington

Jul 31, 2009
chicago
ezriders videos are about the only ones ive seen of people doing any trails. and he has a **** of a bike. ive done quite a bit of trail riding with a bmx bike believe it or not. that was definitely fun

kinks

Aug 4, 2009
Houston Tx
I do some trail riding but there is a park near my house that has all type of trails, I use to ride BMX now just an old man ;-)

Just_Gassit

Jul 17, 2009
Northern Nevada
I want to but my mountain bike with the standard HT and 44 tooth don't do well. I end up dodging ruts and rocks at 15MPH lugging the motor. I either have to get a shift kit or loose the speed I need for my commute with a larger rear sprocket. The shift kit looks to be the way to go.

stpwellington

Jul 31, 2009
chicago
that is exactly what im afraid is gonna happen when i try to bring mine out. i have a 41t so i couldnt possibly do any better. ive been looking at shift kits and gear boxes and such. they seem to be pretty darn expensive. and bmx is definitely something you need to dedicate lots of time to, which most people cant

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
Hi Guys, When we first started riding trails, we used a 56 tooth rear sprocket and that still seemed a little tall for gearing. Our bikes now use 62-65 tooth sprockets and that seems to work fine. Where we ride there are lots of trees (fallen, large and small) and a bunch of posion oak. That's why we ride in control. Even hitting a small branch can send you flying. But if you can trail ride...do it. It's a blast!

247Jude

Apr 4, 2009
Sudbury
I have do it on mild trails on my commute home, I have waisted two rear rims and countless tubes. The last one after a big rain took out my frame, I thought it was a puddle( it was the last time ) it was a washout deep enough to swallow my front tire. I was not going very fast but enough to bend the upper and lower tubes and muffler, but not the front fork.

Junster

Jun 2, 2009
Washington St.
Hey Easy Rider, Is that a 62 tooth with a morini motor or a HT? Also where are you getting sprockets that big. I'm getting ready to do a HT/Mt Bike build for a hunter that needs it to climb like a goat. Speed need to be slow and slower.

Humsuckler

Jul 28, 2009
Ontario
ill answer that haha

morini engines have a centrifugal clutch like a pocketbike does, so technically it is automatic as far as acceleration goes.

If you do some research into "Kings Sales and Service) on ebay you should find that they will make you any size sprocket to order out of high quality stock.

some light walking trails would be fun, i went through some at a park nearby one day on my cruiser and had a blast!
however, with stock gearing unless your going to stand up and have a stocky bike (not a canadian tire cruiser) it does lug alot.... alot of clutch/clear

xlite

Jun 18, 2009
ny,ny
I've done some "off trail" riding. Virtually impossible with the stock 44t and barely manageable with 54t. Watch out for leaves, logs, and rocks.