[B] BIG difference changing tires[B/]

GoldenMotor.com

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
Took the 2.125 cruiser tires of and just put some new tires on: some 26X1.75. It makes a big difference. A whole lot less rolling resistence, but the biggest difference- Lot's less vibration. I didn't realize that so much vibration was coming from the knobby tread.

The thinner ones really roll, and only ten dollars each I thought I'd try just one on the front and noticed so much change I went and bought another right away. Great!

Also just put a new 36 on the back- between these two things, the bike really runs better. And noticeably lighter too. I wondered if the bike would bog down in lower ranges because of the big change from 44 to 36 teeth- I haven't gone up any really big climbs yet. I was surprised the change wasn't greater in either direction- but there is some gain in cruising speed. I may try a 32 eventusally on an even lighter bike.

I highly recommend dumping the cruiser tires, and the 36 sprocket as well.

TheHearpe.tripod.com

FileStyle

May 27, 2008
Decatur,IL
Indiana is about the same as Illinois I run 35t sprocket and run 26x2.2 maxxis holy rollers semi-tread -inverted knobby tire and cruise real good on long runs at 30 mph.

Attachments

captainrichhill

May 31, 2008
Don't those bigger tires give you a little "cousion" ? My cruiser is much smoother then my old hybrid(thin tires).

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
I have been happy with 1.75" width tires. They don't look cool, but strike a good balance between ride comfort and rolling resistance.

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
im hitting 35mph with my wide cruiser tires and there alot better than thin mountainbike knobby tires,less vibration too. i have a 44t, i may try a 36t sometime.

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
As far as any "cushion" goes, I think the knobby vs. unknobby makes more difference- I'm probably mostly always going to be "on-road" as opposed to "off-road"-

But there IS a difference then in total diameter- I've lost some with the smaller tires, which might take away some from any gearing- but the 36 then obviously more than makes up for it.

The build I'm contemplating would have 27" or else 700c tires- and I think a real mechanical advantage with a larger wheel size. I used to race bicycles, so the narrow tires don't bother me at least on smooth roads. (In fact I'm the real guy behind the semi-truck in the movie "Breaking Away")

This bike, a Micargi cruiser, will be my errand bike, for groceries- but I'd like to make a lightweight "broomstick" with a Schwinn World Traveler I bought recently and a lightweight 48 motor with the lightest components I can get-

I don't think I'd ever go as low as 23mm width 700c tires, but maybe 28s (1 1/8 inch) or 32s ( 1 1/4 inch). I was just talking to a track racer this weekend who seemed to think that you could go up to 32 mm's on aero rims on a built up tack "fixie" flip-flop wheelset, but not 38 mm. He said he'd rolled some that size of the narrow aero rims. To go 38 or above, you'd have to gave a more standard 700 rim.

I think 700's may even fit on a lot of cruisers, if anyone was interested- You'd probably have to change the brakes, bvut could go to some low-profile low weight campy brakes or similar.

I don't know- I'm not going to spend the money on this cruiser- i'll probably fit her with some saddlebag baskets which are a little heavy, and I just today took delivery on a BMX suspension fork for the front end- I'll post a picture of it here BEFORE the tire change, and take some more to post later-

The Schwinn Traveler pix are on my "Dude, where's my locking freewheel? "thread if your interested, but I probably won't do a motor build on it until this winter. I'm still digging out after the 100 year-flood and seven feet of water that hit my hgouse last summer.

As far as this being like Illinois- I'm in Brown County in Southern Indiana, so think more like Carbondale area than that pictured. I really have to to try trhe 36 on hills, cause we have some HUGE ones in the home area of The Hilly Hundred.