First commute on my first build

GoldenMotor.com
Jan 12, 2015
Merced, California
Finally finished my first build last night with the help of user Brown. Rode it to campus for thr first time this morning. It ran great and held up just fine. It was so fun! Definitely not taking the bus anymore.
cvlt1

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
I don't hate buses. I'd use them more, in fact, if they only covered my ground better.

But there's not denying that getting where you want to go on your MB is much, much better.

You'll never want to go back.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
We're all very proud of you, Captain. I really mean that.

We're always here if you need help in the future.

Have fun and please, ride safe.

Tom

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Congrats Captain.
Being Transportation Independent is a very good thing ;-}

Now do the basic 'first long ride' tests and adjust as necessary.

Grab your top bar with one hand and your engines head with the other and push back and forth as hard as you can.
If it moves AT ALL tighten you motor mounts.

Check your chain line and back sprocket by rolling your bike backwards with the clutch locked in and watch the sprocket and listen to it.

If it makes 'clunking' sounds either your tensioner is out of alignment or your sprocket is.
In short you bike should sound the same rolling it forward as backwards.

Keep those 2 tips in mind and you'll have many miles of happy riding ;-}

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Where cattle outnumber people 3 to 1.
Nice!
It's awesome huh?
Be sure to check every bolt, nut and screw all the time for a few weeks. You'll be surprised how quickly they can work themselves loose!

You built it. You have the gas-bike disease. Now you're one of US! HahaHAaha

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Great news Captain Z.

lots of great info already given here so I'll just say congrats and wish you happy and safe riding where ever the bike may take you.

Keep the rubber side down and the sunny side up my fellow motorbiker....

Oh... Happy Day...!

Rudz

Jun 24, 2014
Tyler TX
Keep extra cables handy, buy a good wire cutter and cable ferrules. Torque wrench and bicycle tool kit are remarkable. Dont forget your bicycle pump, patch kit and tire levers. Screwdriver and needle nose pliers for removing master link, Phillips screwdriver for the case screws.

Invest in a helmet and body lights as well, they'll save your life.

A strap of bandana keeps pant legs out of the chain sprocket

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
For what it's worth, I've sometimes worn knee and elbow pads on my bike. It's made me feel very secure. And with that, plus helmet and such, I'll cruise along at some fairly high speeds.

But it also makes suiting up into that much more of a big production. And you do have to be careful; that can get out of hand.

So I mostly ride with minimal safety clothing and gear. But I also ride pretty slow.