Broken intake stud resolution

GoldenMotor.com
Status
Not open for further replies.

ibcnya

Oct 29, 2008
Concord NC
Thought I would share this concerning my broken intake stud....

Billy Eason wrote:
> Sales: Faulty engine kit hardware has ruined my 80cc
>
> In october I purchased one of your engine kits from Mini Trade USA on ebay. Item number 380075406973. The first problem I had was the tensioner breaking, leaving me stranded, the second was the carb gaskets leaking and third the clutch lever pin came out causing me to again have to park the bike for yet another week. When the pin cam out it was chewed up ny the chain and I lost the clutch lever completly as a result. Finally while doing some work on the carb, one of my intake studs broke off in the engine completly. I am a mechanic and no how much torque to put on small threaded bolts like those. It broke with very litte force at all.
>
> This has all been documented on motorbicycling.com. Under the screename Ibcnya, I have used this forum to find source parts for the ones that keep breaking.
>
> I am very disspleased with the quality of your product and now have a bike setup for a engine with no engine to run it.
>

To: Billy Eason <[email protected]>
Sent: Sunday, December 7, 2008 3:04:18 PM
Subject: Re: Contact from Bike Berry.com: Sales: Faulty engine kit hardware has ruined my 80cc(Urgent)

Hi Billy,

Thank you for contacting us at BikeBerry.com. I'm sorry to hear about the problems you are having with this kit. If you can provide us with a complete list of all of the parts you need to get back up running, we can certainly see what we can do about getting these parts for you. Although you are past the warranty period for your engine, we can see what we can do to help you.

Best Regards,
BikeBerry.com Support Team

Billy Eason wrote:
I need a new engine ive already replaced all the faulty parts before the stud broke. With the stud broke theres no way to bolt on the intake and its good for nothing but a paperweight now. I cant drill the stud out because theres not enough room on the engines cast to replace it with a bigger bolt, if i did drill it out and retap it. Theres really nothing I can do. This engines barely got 100 miles on it.

Hi Billy,

Thank you for your reply. We can certainly help and replace the engine for you, however because your warranty on the engine has long expired we can only replace your engine if you pay for the shipping both ways. In order to exchange the engine, please ship only the engine to the following address:

Niche Webstores
RMA# 380075406973
18402 Stonegate Ln.
Rowland Heights, CA 91748

Please include with the package a copy of this email as well as money order payment of $20.00 to cover the cost of shipping for the new engine. As soon as we receive the engine from you we will process the warranty claim and ship you a new engine. Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Best Regards,
BikeBerry.com Support Team

Thats good customer relations...(^)

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
You remove the head, and slide the jug off. Replace it with the new one (don't forget to oil and squeeze the rings in).

About 15 minutes.

ibcnya

Oct 29, 2008
Concord NC
Well that certainly does show their committed to customer service. I am a little confused as to how the warranty "has long expired", I thought they offered a 6 month warranty.....
I dont know about the warranty but I felt by making this conversation public itll help better their end of the deal. I dont exactly like having to dish out another 40 bux for shipping cost when I could order another engine section from Dax for just 90 shipped. Probally an better engine at that, I dont know what im gonna do yet. With it being this close to xmaz I cant afford to think about what I want rite now.....ahh the joy of giving..dance1

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
when I could order another engine section from Dax for just 90 shipped.
Wait, what the crap? Dangit, when I went to order a replacement motor a month ago, he was still charging $150 (more than the kit), so I ended up having to get it from somewhere else for $100. Figures.

I would see if they can swap cylinders instead of the whole motor. Shipping would be much cheaper that way. If that happens, make sure they throw in a base gasket and head gasket.

So, what, did they extend the warranty to 6 months after you bought it in October? Or did you get the short warranty because you bought it on ebay? last I checked, there are only 2 months between October and December (Including October)....

ibcnya

Oct 29, 2008
Concord NC
Wait, what the crap? Dangit, when I went to order a replacement motor a month ago, he was still charging $150 (more than the kit), so I ended up having to get it from somewhere else for $100. Figures.

So, what, did they extend the warranty to 6 months after you bought it in October? Or did you get the short warranty because you bought it on ebay? last I checked, there are only 2 months between October and December (Including October)....
ENGINE_KIT_PARTS_PAGE_2

I dont know about the warranty... I dont see why it should be any different, no matter where i got it.

BikeBerry.com

Dealer
Nov 7, 2008
California
www.bikeberry.com
Hi everybody,

Jack from BikeBerry.com here. The reason why ibcnya's motor is not covered under our current 6 month warranty is because at the time of his purchase, we were not selling the Raw brand engine that we are now selling. The warranty that was available for the engine he purchased is 30 days.

The engines we offer now all come with 6 month warranties.

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
Guy's

You must give these re-sellers a break! If you know you cobbled something...just ask for a replacement part, and pay for it. I'm not saying that this is the case here...But for future reference...If you cobble some part of your kit, take responsibility for it, and eat it! Otherwise it will not be profitable for them to import these kits. "I know" it's fun to think that they are becoming wildly rich selling Chinese engine kits!

The reality is that they have to put out a fair amount of cash, ($40,000), to get the kits at a price point that makes it worthwhile. They don't make the engine kits. It's a simple wholesale to retail business. The fact that they offer any sort of warranty is amazing! I wouldn't, not even a small chance! I know I could produce a perfect kit...and somebody out there would cobble it up beyond belief. Warranty...no way!

Jim

ibcnya

Oct 29, 2008
Concord NC
We simply wanted to explain why his motor was out of warranty while we advertise a 6 month warranty for our current kits.
Its appreciated BTW...and you did agree to replace the engine, but , it shouldnt matter when i bought this kit, its got less than 100 miles on it, barely broke in and you do advertise the 6 month warranty. It shouldnt matter where it was purchased, you are the supplier of the kit to me, the customer. Enjoy your ride...thanx.

You must give these re-sellers a break! If you know you cobbled something...just ask for a replacement part, and pay for it. They don't make the engine kits. It's a simple wholesale to retail business. The fact that they offer any sort of warranty is amazing!
Jim
No they dont produce the kits, but that doesnt stop them from selling them with faulty hardware they know comes with the kit. They should at least attempt to replace all the garbage screws, bolts and parts that are known to break. Even if it made the price to go up on the kits, that would be fine with me. Id rather start out paying more to begin with than have to find a replacement part as soon as I get the last one that broke fixed.

misteright1_99

Mar 21, 2008
Treasure Coast, Florida
Guess Again Mister...The re-sellers are not being compensated for the cobbles that the end users create here in the U.S.A.

Jim

I dunno what a cobble is, but a manufacturing defect that a reseller has to replace IS compensated for by the manufacturer. The resellers are offering a warranty, because they are offered a warranty by the manufacturer, standard business. If they are not, I would say it is time to find a different manufacturer. Following is the warranty policy from the Grubee home page stating this.

Engine Kit Warranty Policy: A 90 day limited factory warranty is given on all products except Russian engines and Model A export engine kits: Warranty is administrated by the WD to the end user and supported by a credit memo on future purchases from China GAS. Our Mission Statement: Striving for Quality and Customer Satisfaction is Job #1. Nothing less is acceptable: The Gru-Bee / China GAS expectation is to have continued progress in the WD market penetration by producing the best frame mount bicycle engine kits with the best accessories and options available.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.