Hello Everyone

GoldenMotor.com

slipdrive44

Dec 3, 2008
Tucson
I'm new, obviously, maybe what you would refer to as a long time listener first time caller...
Anyway, I ordered a motor, an "EPA Certified" RAW 80cc, from Zone8Cycling with a 6 month warranty over Thanksgiving. And I am currently installing it.

Its been a heck of a time, I have a Specialized Hardrock mountain bike and the engine did not want to be friends... haha...*tear*...
But just like animals, you put them in the same room long enough and they work it out.

So s few questions if you don't mind :D

1. My engine is not perfectly straight on the frame as a result of every frame tube I have being formed and oversized... I got the engine on and the chain turns when I ride it, haven't been able to start it yet because I haven't finished the install, but is this ok?

2. How much active machining should be expected, if any, and is it ok if I see a small bit of shavings from chain rub on the casing after pedaling around the block to check alignment. I know from building karts this will work itself out but I am not used to these engines and their tolerances.

3. This is probably a super common issue from what I have seen, I feel like my clutch lever does not have enough "throw". I disengages and engages for now, but I feel like it should move more... is there a half engaged area i should worry about or is it a YES or No on the sprocket being engaged or not?

I'm in school for mechanical engineering, so i understand all this, I just didn't feel like taking the crankcase apart.

And one of my piston rings is cracked. I know its not a huge issue on a two stroke, but where can i get one piston ring?

slipdrive44

Dec 3, 2008
Tucson
Also, is it common to have issues with the included bolt hardware, I have torqued the heads off two bolts, is this becaue they are chinese cheap stuff?
I am planning on going to Ace to get some good ol' american steel.

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
is this becaue they are chinese cheap stuff?
I am planning on going to Ace to get some good ol' american steel.
Yep.

Be careful what you buy at Ace. I was looking for some new studs, and the only metric allthread I could find was most likely not from the US. The container said it could come from like 5 or 6 different countries, including China. Though, probably still not as crappy as the kit hardware.

Finfan

Aug 29, 2008
Tucson, AZ USA
As I am fond of saying "6 HOUR INSTALL MY FUZZY BUTT!!!!!!!!!" These things never cooperate and every build will present its own challenges. I like to recommend that you go to a motorcycle or ATV shop and get a new pedestal and lever for the clutch. The kit lever is made of pot metal and will break easily. I got an extra long Honda lever that gives you a bit of extra leverage.

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
Yeah but aren't those MC levers missing the lock mechanism? Sucks to hold the handle in when you're sitting at a light.

slipdrive44

Dec 3, 2008
Tucson
I actually have my clutch lever mounted on the backside of the handlebar. Seeing as how it seems I only hold it when I am stopping anyway when i get pitched forward i just put my hand over the lever and let physics push it in. also it clears my fingers to grab a handful of brake much much easier!