Bairdco Built For Speed Bike...

GoldenMotor.com

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
I love the shape you gave your bike Baird, its so original and looks badass! Can't wait to hear you're out buzzing the neighborhood soon!

Moto

Jan 7, 2012
San Francisco, CA.
Hey bairdco, monster looking build! How is that head working out for you? Im looking for cheap good heads and there is one for sale on ebay right now: Aermacchi m50. Is it 47mm bore and correct head bolt spacing? Looks like it will need head bolts to be drilled out, but thats no problem. Thanks!
p.s hope your recovering ok, wipeouts suck big time.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i had the head on a different bike and it worked great. but i had to modify a few things.

i used it on a starfire engine which has 6mm head studs, so i dunno about using the bigger 8mm studs.

the plug hole is really long and i had to grind it down, which wasn't easy with basic tools, and the piston hit the head so i had to modify the squish band.

it's not an easy, bolt on fit. a Puch head might be the way to go if you don't want to modify a bunch of stuff.

Moto

Jan 7, 2012
San Francisco, CA.
i had the head on a different bike and it worked great. but i had to modify a few things.

i used it on a starfire engine which has 6mm head studs, so i dunno about using the bigger 8mm studs.

the plug hole is really long and i had to grind it down, which wasn't easy with basic tools, and the piston hit the head so i had to modify the squish band.

it's not an easy, bolt on fit. a Puch head might be the way to go if you don't want to modify a bunch of stuff.
thanks for the reply, ive been running puch heads but have still found that the squish needs attention on those... the search for the magical (bolt on) head continues.... I hear the crmachine (i think) heads are great, too bad they cost almost as much as a new engine. moto

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Cool a swamp cooler style type valve? Looks just like you could rebuild it from the guts of a new one from any of these? If'en you ever had too? http://www.mhparts.com/proddetail.php?prod=P-1169-2
I have been using this model for years now on my Morini. http://www.homedepot.com/p/DIAL-1-4...oler-Compression-Needle-Valve-94045/100175352. It has been nice inhibited unclog-able high flow. Gets along with fuel perfectly. For about 4 years now. Never did play with the seals.

I like the way you got it. Right by the seat post to turn it on while coasting. I always forget to turn mine on lol.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Cool a swamp cooler style type valve? Looks just like you could rebuild it from the guts of a new one from any of these? If'en you ever had too? http://www.mhparts.com/proddetail.php?prod=P-1169-2
I have been using this model for years now on my Morini. http://www.homedepot.com/p/DIAL-1-4...oler-Compression-Needle-Valve-94045/100175352. It has been nice inhibited unclog-able high flow. Gets along with fuel perfectly. For about 4 years now. Never did play with the seals.

I like the way you got it. Right by the seat post to turn it on while coasting. I always forget to turn mine on lol.
Every single time I go riding, I bog out dead a block away and fumble for the petcock.
Been that way for my whole life.
Yet I still remember to turn it off every time so it makes you wonder...
(2 brain cells dragging a 3rd)
laff

bairdco

Aug 18, 2009
i got it out of an old dusty bin at an auto parts store. it's made by Imperial, and it's probably a radiator drain valve.

a buddy of mine is restoring an old Indian and has almost the same petcock. still made by Imperial, bit his has a filter.

it's probably 50 years old and cost me 10 bucks.

and we've all forgot to turn the fuel on. i do it at least once a week...

bairdco

Aug 18, 2009
finally got around to using the Tomos Biturbo chamber i bought a few years ago. it had a big crack in it and i'd have to modify it to fit anything, so i never used it.

now that i can weld, i fixed the crack, made a flange for it, and bent up a pipe for the header.

it's a slip fit set-up with a seatpost clamp over it, so i have about 4" of adjustment to tune it. i can make the header length from 7" to 11". even scribed some inch marks in it with my engraver for exact tuning.

when i find the right length, i'll weld it and wrap it up with some "thermo-tec generation II copper wrap" that i picked up.

dunno what i'll use for the tip. the stock one is about a foot long, gold, and i can't find all the parts. i'll have to make a beer can muffler or something to match the bike.

i also picked up some Jagwire titanium braided compressionless cables for the brakes, clutch, and throttle.

Attachments

Last edited:

Moto

Jan 7, 2012
San Francisco, CA.
finally got around to using the Tomos Biturbo chamber i bought a few years ago. it had a big crack in it and i'd have to modify it to fit anything, so i never used it.

now that i can weld, i fixed the crack, made a flange for it, and bent up a pipe for the header.

it's a slip fit set-up with a seatpost clamp over it, so i have about 4" of adjustment to tune it. i can make the header length from 7" to 11". even scribed some inch marks in it with my engraver for exact tuning.

when i find the right length, i'll weld it and wrap it up with some "thermo-tec generation II copper wrap" that i picked up.

dunno what i'll use for the tip. the stock one is about a foot long, gold, and i can't find all the parts. i'll have to make a beer can muffler or something to match the bike.

i also picked up some Jagwire titanium braided compressionless cables for the brakes, clutch, and throttle.
Ohhh nice! i picked one of these up with a bunch of other pipes for $20. im excited to hear about your experience with it.

EDIT: how you gonna support that thing? mines pretty hefty and it looks like its hanging pretty far out even without muffler.

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2013
RI
sorry to hear about your crash man, i hope you suffered no permanent damage and that your recovery is short and relatively pain free.

...anyway, i'm new around here having joined up about 2 weeks ago after putting money down on a bike from the guys at Pirate Cycles, i figured i'd better start climbing the learning curve NOW rather than waiting for delivery, and i wanted to thank you for sharing your work, i've been lurking in a few of your threads and i'm learning a LOT!

...so thanks again man, and get well soon!

peace, bozo

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Hey! Bairdco..
NICE BUILD!! Can you give me all the details on that clutch arm set up as I'd like to use you design on my new build "Big Black Jack" in combination with my Clutch Arm Roller.

Here is what I have on the Redskin and it has significantly cut down tension and lever pull LBS.

Attachments